Turkey hunters are stupid

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Well not sure if she meant ALL turkey hunters, but I think her exact words to me the last weekend of the season were, "Well, if you go you are STUPID."

That is my wife I am speaking of.

The last weekend of the season brought with it severe thunderstorms, high winds, lots of rain and lightning.

This weather pattern covered all of West and most of Middle TN.
So at 9:00 on Friday night I headed towards middle TN for a last ditch effort, one day hunt.
Turned out to be one of the best hunts of the year for me but what turned me onto the birds most of the morning was lightning and the subsequent thunder.

How many of you are out there in weather that you KNOW you shouldn't be and use thunder to locate birds?

It also brings back a memory of a hunt I had with CBU this year when the tornado sirens started going off and I stopped suddendly and said, "hold on".

My son and CBU's boy both about freaked out and said at the same time, "What is it, a tornado?" to which CBU and myself answered in perfect time, "No, listening for birds."

:D

I know we ain't alone.

stik

i sat out a thunderstorm in the truck one morning. after it passed(you could still hear thunder) i got out of the truck and started getting my sh-- uh stuff together. it thundered and 7 different birds gobbled!

Cuttin Caller

Staff member
I wouldn't mind the rain but the thunderstorms scares me. Although if I was to hear a turkey gobble I would pretty much sit through anything.

For some reason them things gets my attention first.

turkeyhunter64

Killed a dandy longbeard this year thunder lightening and raining like crazy... But I got caught in it when it blew up on me. One of the best hunts I have ever had. I will do it again.

ShaneHallum

I was on a deer hunt last year up on the mountain. Wind was blowing a good 30. Raining like crazy. I knew I wouldn't see anything, but I was close 2 a mile from the truck, so I sat in the blind to let it pass.

Little did I know, my friend that set the blind up the night before didn't stake it down... Wind caught the blind and left me sitting the middle of a feild in a thunderstorm. Dang morons.

megalomaniac

Been in 2 tornadoes while turkey hunting. I still probably need to give my cousin half the cost of his windshield over the second tornado :)

4onaside

I've lived a long time by avoiding doing stupid things,like hunting during thunderstorms. Of course, I've done many other stupid things, but that's another story(ies). lol
And if they are gobbling at thunder, you'll be the one that hears them, not me. My attitude has been that tomorrow will be blue bird, still and warm, and if not, then next Saturday will be. I've found that they are just as likely to gobble on nice days, and if they don't, then I am at least comfortable and at ease.

baller_9

I was out there as well!!! It has the dumbest/most incredible hunt I had ever had for turkeys. Hadn't got to hunt middle TN all year so I was determined to hunt no matter what. Lightning was hitting everywhere and the thunder was shaking the ground! Rain so hard I couldn't see past 60 yards. It let up for 15 mins and a big bird came in and I killed him! Thunder is for sure a great locator!

4onaside

baller_9 said:
I was out there as well!!! It has the dumbest/most incredible hunt I had ever had for turkeys. Hadn't got to hunt middle TN all year so I was determined to hunt no matter what. Lightning was hitting everywhere and the thunder was shaking the ground! Rain so hard I couldn't see past 60 yards. It let up for 15 mins and a big bird came in and I killed him! Thunder is for sure a great locator!
Do you glow in the dark, and/or is your hair still standing on end? lol

baller_9

4onaside said:
baller_9 said:

Lol yea I could have easily been transformed into a glow stick pretty fast. I was thinkin how stupied I was before I shot that bird but after I was feeling pretty smart!

4onaside

baller_9 said:
4onaside said:
baller_9 said:

Lol yea I could have easily been transformed into a glow stick pretty fast. I was thinkin how stupied I was before I shot that bird but after I was feeling pretty smart!
If you were endangering your life just to kill a turkey, I'd tend to go with your first thought! lol

baller_9

4onaside said:
baller_9 said:
4onaside said:
baller_9 said:

If you were endangering your life just to kill a turkey, I'd tend to go with your first thought! lol

Stupied?....yep. Would I do it again? yeeeeeeep :grin: I don't have a wife and kids yet so....

splitter

me and little brother went out chasing one we saw in the field, ignoring the thunder in the background, ten minutes later, nickel sized hail we had to climb into a small rock facing to escape it, this is after we had bruises on us from the hail and i had a busted ear where one had hit me behind the ear and cut it, i thought mom was gonna strangle us when we got home haha

Latest posts