turkey calls

Yelper

My favorite mouth calls are woodhaven copperhead and the "Will Primos" call. I think it's called a WP1.

Slate call is hands down the woodhaven cherry classic slate over glass. I also made a slate call myself that will give it a run for the money. I still love the laminated striker with either of these calls.

Box call is a toss up from several. I really love this little call I have called a Rocky Top Game Calls laminated. It has mahogany and cedar with some poplar I believe. Anyway, I bought it last year and I love the high pitch yelps. You can get some volume out of this thing or do light yelps.

4onaside

Ashby(Houston,MO, now out of business)"raspy old hen" box call. It's a stradivarious of calls. I think that I bought it on a bargain table years ago for 2 bucks. Every now and then, one will come up on ebay, but people are knowledgable and the bidding quickly gets too high for my blood. At any rate, like most box calls, I can call one in from the next county, or sweet talk him at 25 yards, and in either situation, it sounds like the real deal.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

4onaside said:
Ashby(Houston,MO, now out of business)"raspy old hen" box call. It's a stradivarious of calls. I think that I bought it on a bargain table years ago for 2 bucks. Every now and then, one will come up on ebay, but people are knowledgable and the bidding quickly gets too high for my blood. At any rate, like most box calls, I can call one in from the next county, or sweet talk him at 25 yards, and in either situation, it sounds like the real deal.

X2

Setterman

I use a woodhaven Billy Yargus (blue) mouth call most of the time when working birds or a Darrin Dawkins ALuminum friction call. Laminate strikers all the way for me as well.

4onaside

4onaside said:
Obviously,my example "at 25 yards" is not entirely accurate, because at that range he would have hopefully already been dead. LOL However, the point was that I have always been partial to sweet sounding boxes, that one in particular, and the hand movement factor with boxes and slates is a non-factor with me,as my hands are ALWAYS hidden, since I hunt from a blind.

Latest posts