Tuna suggestions

Jmed

Just returned from Venice with a bunch of beautiful Yellowfin for the freezer. Anyone have any experience or advice for cooking these. Im a huge fan of the ahi tuna served at outback, is not just seared or is it marinated? Suggestions appreciated!

TAFKAP

The only acceptable way to serve tuna is either seared, or raw.

Chaneylake's inside source at the Outback says that they slap a hockey-puck frozen tuna steak on the ultra-high heat for a few seconds, flip it and do the other side, then let the whole thing thaw in the fridge for a while.

If you're not patient, thaw it, high heat sear each side(preferred oil is sesame), slice and serve.

We love to chop some garlic, cilantro, and jalapenos in some soy sauce, lime juice, and sesame oil for a dip. It's delicious.

Crosshairy

More importantly, Jmed - can you recommend a charter service for a tuna trip? I've never been :)

For recipes, I really like seared tuna on salads with vinaigrette-based dressings.

You can also make some killer wraps with them, if you are looking for something fast and portable.

My plan (if I ever come into ownership of a large quantity of tuna) is to plan out some high-end and quick lunch-type meals so that I can hit up the full spectrum of options. If only...

Crosshairy

I almost forgot - there's a killer recipe for tuna cooked in the microwave until well-done that involves cream of mushroom soup, italian dressing, bacon, and MSG-based soy sauce. Just ask Poser or TAFKAP for the details.

:D

Chaneylake

here is what the main chief at Jackson Tn Outback told me.

thaw the tuna just enough for a dry rub to stick, Outback gave me a foil package of their dry rub, generously rub tuna, pour just enough Sesamie Oil in skillet to sear and turn to high, when oil gets real hot sear tuna for maximum 30 seconds on each side, immediately place in refrigerator for 4 hours before slicing/serving

searing it frozen helps from over cooking

jb3

I'd think searing it frozen keeps from thawing out the fish so they have no waste. Maybe they keep it in the refrigerator a day or two or three after searing. Keep it till it smells fishy.

Chaneylake

jb3 said:
I'd think searing it frozen keeps from thawing out the fish so they have no waste. Maybe they keep it in the refrigerator a day or two or three after searing. Keep it till it smells fishy.

Jackson Tn Outback told me that they only do a certain amount each day, I have been there when they were sold out for the day. other stores might be different

memfuzz

I've made this and I think it's great. I'm a fat boy, so that should count for something!
Tuna Grilled Korean-Style

Recipe courtesy of Leslie Glover Pendleton, author of Simply Shrimp, Salmon, and (Fish) Steaks

Total Time:
6 min
Cook
6 min

Yield:
Serves 4

This aromatic marinade is used to flavor and tenderize beef in Korean cuisine. Do not marinate this longer than two hours, as the enzymes in ginger can over-tenderize the fish.
Ingredients

1/2 cup light soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds tuna steak (1 inch or thicker), cut into 4 portions

Directions

In a plastic bag combine all ingredients except the tuna. Mix the marinade in the bag until combined and add the tuna, coating it completely. Seal the bag, refrigerate, and let the tuna marinate for 1 to 2 hours, turning it occasionally.

Preheat a grill, or broiler with rack in the top position.

Brush the grill with vegetable oil. Discard the marinade and grill the tuna (or broil it on a rack set in a baking pan) for 3 minutes on each side until medium rare.

Serve immediately.

Latest posts