Trumpet

Iglow

Here's one I made about 5 years ago that sounds ok, I make 1 or 2 every spring and some are ok and others sound like crap and I don't know why.

Attachments

• IMG_3593.jpeg
    IMG_3593.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 11

MidTennFisher

Here's a good example of what I was talking about with 2 note call vs the 1 note call.

Dang that guy is good too! I need to work on getting raspy yelps out of my wingbones. I'm good at clear, sharp yelps but I think being able to switch it up to be raspy is a game changer. Normally I only can get raspy with mouth calls.

AT Hiker

View attachment 217221The tried and true homemade one I did about 10 years ago. It's been responsible for at least one turkey a year. No fancy threads or paint but jb weld to hold it together and it does great.
Did you "boil/simmer" the bones to clean them of meat and tissue?
I made one a couple years ago but macerated (rotted the tissue off in warm water). It sounds amazing and I haven't fancied it up yet either, although I have plans to use the other side to get all fancy with.

Id like to hear it against one made using hotter water to clean it. I know for a fact there is a difference in bone structure but curious if the sound is noticeable.

Hope that made sense on the prep part.

Hduke86

Did you "boil/simmer" the bones to clean them of meat and tissue?
I made one a couple years ago but macerated (rotted the tissue off in warm water). It sounds amazing and I haven't fancied it up yet either, although I have plans to use the other side to get all fancy with.

Id like to hear it against one made using hotter water to clean it. I know for a fact there is a difference in bone structure but curious if the sound is noticeable.

Hope that made sense on the prep part.
No, I took an air compressor and got it cleared out and then just scraped the rest off. I remember there being dried up tissue on it forever. About the only "prep" I did was to sand the mouthpiece end a little so it wouldn't cut my lip.

ROVERBOY

I've never used a trumpet call but, have made several wingbones and called in several birds with them. If I had a wood lathe, I would make one and try it.

Latest posts