Trumpet

Andy S.

Good luck with your trumpet. If one knows how to run one, it is deadly. With that said, they have become another fatality of the social media craze. Decade ago, you rarely saw them mentioned online, for a number of reasons. Influencers and like/subscribe guys have made them a hot ticket item it seems.

Last edited:

Iglow

Good luck with your trumpet. If one knows how to run one, it is deadly. With that said, they have become another fatality of the social media craze. Decade ago, you rarely saw them mentioned online, for a number of reasons. Influencers and like/subscribe guys have made them a hot ticket item it seems
Yep, it's not easy to make one do right when you're sitting on the porch fooling with it, it's doubly hard to when you got a gobbler at 80 yds just hanging out. I was looking at the prices on some of the suggestions above ...wheww, I'll pass on that. I can make one do right yelping about 50% of the time and clucking about 20% of the time. I think some people have the natural born knack for it like some can just play a guitar with ease, I'm not one of them.

muddyboots

Pappys game calls. It's deadly!

Attachments

• IMG_0962.png
    IMG_0962.png
    368.7 KB · Views: 8

Iglow

Go back and watch those vids of Zack Farmer and notice, his jaw moves a little when he clucks but nothing moves(jaw,lips) when he yelps on that caller. His yelp isn't a 2 syllable word, a 2 note call. A hen doesn't have a 2 note call, it's one word, YAP not YA-AP.
And notice too he'll start low and slow like he's kinda checking to see if he "got it right" before he goes ahead and makes the yelp.

There's a lot of knowledge in that little clip and he sums it up with "it's the mood of the turkey", there is no magic caller. The caller that makes one run you over one morning is the one he completely ignores 2 hours later.

Kelljp

Go back and watch those vids of Zack Farmer and notice, his jaw moves a little when he clucks but nothing moves(jaw,lips) when he yelps on that caller. His yelp isn't a 2 syllable word, a 2 note call. A hen doesn't have a 2 note call, it's one word, YAP not YA-AP.
And notice too he'll start low and slow like he's kinda checking to see if he "got it right" before he goes ahead and makes the yelp.

There's a lot of knowledge in that little clip and he sums it up with "it's the mood of the turkey", there is no magic caller. The caller that makes one run you over one morning is the one he completely ignores 2 hours later.
The Minister knew more about turkey calling and could express how to hunt in the simpless terms that made it easy to understand. I heard he passed away a couple of weeks ago. A wealth of knowledge gone.

Iglow

I've yet to see anyone else with one in the woods.
With the prices I saw I don't doubt it. Most look like works of art rather than a hunting tool. If you can work one and if that's what the turkey wants to hear at that moment they have a lot going for them, they are waterproof, slung on a string around your neck so you don't lose it, it's 1 piece so you don't have multiple parts to keep up with, it don't need sanding or chalk, don't have to carry it around in your mouth or store it in the fridge, there's no maintenance to it, it's pretty durable as turkey calls go but it is the hardest to get good at of any call for anything IMO.

Kelljp

With the woods filling up with people since covid. Turkeys have heard it all. The last 3 years I've taking birds in heavily hunted woods using trumpet or wingbone calls. Pretty much all I use anymore. I wish I knew what it was that makes the difference, but I don't. They just work.

Attachments

• PXL_20230521_113441676.jpg
    PXL_20230521_113441676.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 7

MidTennFisher

Ive got a Turpin call from Steve Turpin at Memphis, it's real nice, that said, I think it's much more the one using the call than the brand of trumpet call, at least in my 31 years of using one.

I can't believe how well that old man in the first video plays a trumpet call!! I've never heard anyone use one that well, that's some serious skill learned over decades of calling turkeys. Much respect!

Now I've got a bunch of wingbone calls I've made over the years. Some sound better than others but I've never gotten to where I can make the yelps sound quite as slow and drawn out as that guy was doing with the trumpet. My yelps with the wingbone are a little sharper and shorter.

But they definitely sound good enough to lead to a dead turkey. Sounds like I still have some practicing to do.

Latest posts