Trout At Pickwick

rukiddin

Looks like the perfect size for stripers. I'm betting a striper fisherman bought some for bait, and they dumped'em.

Tubakka

Taylor said:
Could be, RUK, makes sense.

Big black bass like 'em, too.

Some say one of the reasons Cali has so many near world records...trout stocking.

taylor, That is absolutely why. Rainbow trout, if you can get them to take in a body of water, are the best forage fish God put on this green earth. Heck, even other trout get big on them, rainbows and browns. There was a musky caught out of W. Virginia lake a few years ago that hadn't received stocking in years, by an old lady on a zebco outfit fishing from shore. It weighed 50 pounds, which is astounding in itself. What's more astouding is that it was ONLY 50" long. Now that sounds like a bit of downplay, but considering the build of a musky, a pound an inch is almost unnatural weight on a muskellunge. In fact, I don't know of another fish being caught with those dimensions unless you count the fish Cal Johnson and Louis Spray caught on the Chip back in the day. They were near 70 pounds but ONLY 61-63" long.

Taylor

Many lake owners/managers (many out of the cool/trout-water range), that have, as Gump said, "more money than Davy Crockett", dump hatchery rainbows in their lakes (and crawfish) for the simple reason of adding weight to their catches. Like feeding cows in a pasture when they make the drop.

Tubakka

Ok, I know this sounds wacky, but I remember my late grandfather and I once, while stump jumping for bluegills and redears in one of the many old strip mines left over from the coal era of that region, once made a comment about seeing something move off a beaver dam in crystal clear water that appeared to be an octopus. Yes, an octopus. We both dismissed it, even myself at the age of 12, but since then I've heard of more and more instances of this occurring, to where they've almost gotten a cult following by the cryptozoological crowd, of which I'm loosely affiliated [I read the newsletters, but bury them under the Musky Hunter and the In-Fisherman when company comes over]. Makes me wonder...I wasn't even aware they could exist in freshwater to begin with.

scope eye

I don't know about trout below Pickwick but, I was fishing there below the dam one time and was talking with a yankee, form Michagan, I think. All of a sudden I got a good strike, set the hook, but the fish was fighting funny. It came to the surface and was spinning on the top of the water, out behind one of the boils. It was shiney and fighting really hard. The yankee said I had hooked a "stealy." I had to ask him what a "stealy" was. He said a steal head. "We ain't got no steal head down here" I replied. After about a 10 min fight, I finaly realed in a chrome bicycle fender. It was like realing in a ginormus spinner bait. That got a few laughs from the other fisherman around. :D

Latest posts