Tropical Storm Doves

Southern Sportsman

I've never hunted doves in a tropical rainstorm before. I'm hoping it blows through Thursday and leaves a few doves behind. First world problem though. Some people have real problems related to Harvey.

lUcmYVJ.jpg

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
From my experience doves don't like much rain at all.
Plus they will probably move out of the area so Saturday will stink too.

But, as you said, no big deal really in the grand scheme of things.

Mike Belt

I really hate it for those that have toiled over planting a dove field. Almost every year that I've seen a rain storm with a drop in temperature hit just before opener the hunt was over before it ever began. Just can't control the weather.

MickThompson

Yep, I am supposed be on a shoot that looked to be one we'd be talking about 10 years from now. Gonna try to make the best of it. A little wind and rain is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things compared to what folks south of us are contending with right now. I'll just go catfishing if the birds don't work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Sportsman

Yeah, we had a good shoot lined up too. And this past weekend, they were still showing steady, sunny 85 degree days leading into Friday. Then Harvey happened.

PalsPal

I'll be out there. In over 30 years, I don't remember ever having a washout and I can't remember the last time I missed an opener.

Looking around the net, it looked like several people have still had great shoots even in a deluge.

CATCHDAWG

I sat in my field for a while yesterday, cool temps and pouring rain. Birds flying like mad! I'm not looking forward to sitting in the rain but the doves didn't seem to be affected at all. I remember years ago on another shoot it poured down heavy all day and was probably the second best shoot I've ever been on. I wouldn't worry so much about rain but if it's windy, that's a totally different story, I've never had a very good shoot in the wind.

Mike Belt

A cold rain has turned every typically great hunt I've had experience with into a disaster. The only exception I've seen was during the last segment of the dove season when a prepared field was the only food source around. I don't know why the birds were there then and not around on the opener during bad weather. I wouldn't think they were migrating south that late in the season so it stands to reason they were local birds. Where'd they go around opener?

Tennessee280

keeping my fingers crossed.. the guy putting on the hunt im going to went to the field yesterday and saw as much or more birds as hes seen in one field.. 2 days is an eternity for doves but hopefully a few will stay around.. either way ill be there on my bucket waitin on em

rukiddin

The fastest "barrel burners" I've ever been on were on rainy days. Hard rain for a couple or three hours and as soon as it slacked up, it was as fast as you could load the gun. When I lived in NC, we hunted a couple of times on the backsides of hurricanes. Only ever did it twice and the birds were definately there but it takes "sporty" to a whole new level when your shooting doves with a 35-45mph wind.

PalsPal

rukiddin":1jnp5wdz said:
Only ever did it twice and the birds were definately there but it takes "sporty" to a whole new level when your shooting doves with a 35-45mph wind.

I was thinking that they will either be like missiles or almost sitting still depending on how they enter the field.

Good luck everybody. Hope you have a barrel melter!

Southern Sportsman

Southern Sportsman":2v0e9q9n said:
I'm hoping it blows through Thursday and leaves a few doves behind.

Well, this is exactly what happened. Didnt have as many doves on the field as we did before Harvey blew threw, but there was sill enough for a good shoot. Weather was cool and pleasant, but wind made the shooting extra-sporting. But I took plenty of shells and scratched out a limit.

Hope everone had a good opener.

Latest posts