Trophy Rocks and yotes

backyardtndeer

I have tested female urine extensively, including female urine from different times during a woman's menstrual cycle. I got very few positive responses from any of it.
Yeah, I am just a small farm owner speaking to my experience almost exclusively to my small west Tennessee property. Maybe there are outliers that don't conform to your research, dunno. Used to be old-timers would tell you don't pee where you hunt, that it would scare deer away. To say they were wrong would be a huge understatement. No telling over the past 30 plus years that I have been hunting my small farm and had deer show up right after peeing. I started peeing in scrapes over 20 years ago, and I hadn't really noticed any decline in activity at those sites where I had cameras.

As to why a yote chose to pee there is almost certainly them marking territory. I had seen it many times when I used to use minerals. As to why it does not spook deer, probably for the same reason that human urine doesn't spook them. Urine breaks down into ammonia rather quickly if I am not mistaken.
Remember, scrapes are not for communicating with females. Like rubs, scrapes are primarily a male-to-male communication device.
And another thing to remember is that there are territorial and community scrapes, you may call them something different. Does may use community scrapes year round, I have seen them using scrapes in May before. Different entirely, but my point is that i think a buck will pick up a does scents wherever they leave their scent.

TN Song Dog

I'm sure that's the reason, by why peeing right on the rock? That seems strange.

Plus, why does that not keep the deer from licking the rock? You would think predator pee right on your salt lick would chase away the deer, but it doesn't seem to bother them a bit. Same with scrapes. I get pictures of yotes peeing and crapping in scrapes all the time but it doesn't seem to bother the deer.

Same as dogs peeing right on a fire hydrant. That's the post they put their scent on. Just a natural phenomenon I guess. It stands out and draws in all types of critters. Makes a good post. A lot of communication in the animal world is done with scent and marking.

As for why deer still lick the salt, I'm guessing they are used to it happening in other natural scrapes/licks and they are not bothered or just really crave the salt and minerals above the funny taste. I'm no deer expert, and far from it. Just a guess.