Trophy Rocks and yotes

kaizen leader

I've got two trophy rocks out. Coyotes walk up to them and Pee on them. Anyone know why? I even had a bobcat do it. It doesn't seam to bother the deer though. They still lick them.

knightrider

I've got two trophy rocks out. Coyotes walk up to them and Pee on them. Anyone know why? I even had a bobcat do it. It doesn't seam to bother the deer though. They still lick them.
I dont why they do it but they sure love to 😂 and bears like to crap on em too
IMG_6160.jpeg

Bell3wv

They'll crap on them too. Used to trap fox on well roads by placing a big rock in the middle of the road. If I found an ant hill in the woods it tie a feather or piece of rabbit fur to a tree limb and place a trap on top of the ant hill. Fox and bobcat would both used ant hill to sit and check out motion. Thus was pre-coyote years in WV.

tellico4x4

Same for scrapes. Had a couple cell cams on some this fall along a road & noticed a lot of coyote action at them. Kept cams there during post season trapping & yotes, fox, skunk & possums would stop to pee long after deer quit them. Caught two coyotes & 1 possum at them.

BSK

Same for scrapes. Had a couple cell cams on some this fall along a road & noticed a lot of coyote action at them. Kept cams there during post season trapping & yotes, fox, skunk & possums would stop to pee long after deer quit them. Caught two coyotes & 1 possum at them.
Absolutely true. I get yotes peeing in scrapes pretty frequently.

BSK

Yep. This is why.
I'm sure that's the reason, by why peeing right on the rock? That seems strange.

Plus, why does that not keep the deer from licking the rock? You would think predator pee right on your salt lick would chase away the deer, but it doesn't seem to bother them a bit. Same with scrapes. I get pictures of yotes peeing and crapping in scrapes all the time but it doesn't seem to bother the deer.

backyardtndeer

I'm sure that's the reason, by why peeing right on the rock? That seems strange.

Plus, why does that not keep the deer from licking the rock? You would think predator pee right on your salt lick would chase away the deer, but it doesn't seem to bother them a bit. Same with scrapes. I get pictures of yotes peeing and crapping in scrapes all the time but it doesn't seem to bother the deer.
Urine breaks down to ammonia. Deer come to and take over scrapes made with human urine.

BSK

Urine breaks down to ammonia. Deer come to and take over scrapes made with human urine.
But generally, only male human urine. I've done a lot of experimenting with human urine in scrapes, and by far, young male urine produces the biggest response. Why? Testosterone levels. Female urine illicit very little response, and I've noticed my own urine has declined in productivity as I've aged (and my testosterone level declined).

knightrider

But generally, only male human urine. I've done a lot of experimenting with human urine in scrapes, and by far, young male urine produces the biggest response. Why? Testosterone levels. Female urine illicit very little response, and I've noticed my own urine has declined in productivity as I've aged (and my testosterone level declined).
Definitely!! Big difference in responses from bucks in scrapes i make vs ones my 20 year old son makes

backyardtndeer

That is interesting, but my personal experience doesn't align with your research. My wife had to go when we were on a walk and moving cameras last year. The result put this buck that we had been getting pics of at another location, right in front of the camera just hours later.
1667930148444_2.jpg

BSK

That is interesting, but my personal experience doesn't align with your research. My wife had to go when we were on a walk and moving cameras last year. The result put this buck that we had been getting pics of at another location, right in front of the camera just hours later. View attachment 178355
I have tested female urine extensively, including female urine from different times during a woman's menstrual cycle. I got very few positive responses from any of it.

Remember, scrapes are not for communicating with females. Like rubs, scrapes are primarily a male-to-male communication device.

Latest posts