Trophy Room

DRHUNTR

I was just looking back through the Trophy Room and went back to the beginning and scrolled through until current. I had posted some pics a few years ago and noticed they weren't in there anymore so I'm guessing they were removed for some reason. That's not my point for writing this but just a side note. I believe if you look through the "trophies" listed you'll notice more and more pics and bigger and bigger deer as the years have gone by. A trophy in the 70's, 80's and 90's are certainly different than trophies today. Love looking at the old pics and remembering the days of hand me down guns and clothes and three speed on the column, 2 wheel drive pickups driving up old dry creek beds and through creeks. Cooking bacon, eggs and fried taters in one big skillet. Celebrating with every successful hunter in deer camp and walking around looking at all the deer hanging from the tree limbs. I wouldn't trade any amount of money for those memories. Many of my hunting buddies, my dad, uncles, friends have passed on now but I sill always have the memories of the days afield.

BSK

I believe if you look through the "trophies" listed you'll notice more and more pics and bigger and bigger deer as the years have gone by. A trophy in the 70's, 80's and 90's are certainly different than trophies today. Love looking at the old pics and remembering the days of hand me down guns and clothes and three speed on the column, 2 wheel drive pickups driving up old dry creek beds and through creeks. Cooking bacon, eggs and fried taters in one big skillet. Celebrating with every successful hunter in deer camp and walking around looking at all the deer hanging from the tree limbs. I wouldn't trade any amount of money for those memories. Many of my hunting buddies, my dad, uncles, friends have passed on now but I sill always have the memories of the days afield.
I know what you mean. Although I still think today is the "good ol' days" of hunting, looking back, those early years were simpler times, and any success meant more. The below pic was taken in 1991 and represents our "success" opening weekend of gun season. Four yearling bucks, and we couldn't have been prouder or more thrilled.

Attachments

• smallbuck2.jpg
    smallbuck2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 308

megalomaniac

Agreed. Back in the day 'success' was measured on whether you could actually kill the allotted 11 bucks annually... the closest I ever got was 8 bucks in one season... and I still didn't feel like it was a successful season... several of my friends killed 9 or 10 bucks.

The first few years after the limit reduction, it was all about killing the biggest antlered deer in the area. Some times I did, sometimes I didnt... but I was going to take 3 (then 2 after limit reduced further) bucks every year

Maybe it's the limit reduction or maybe just because I'm older, but I now feel it's been a great year if I kill just ONE mature buck a year, regardless of antler score. I haven't gone buckless since 1987, but I suspect if/when that happens again, it won't hurt my feelings one bit.

killingtime 41

Yes I to remember the hood old days. I can't describe the excitement in air. The closer we got to opening day. Then that rush as you're pulling out of the driveway all packed up me my uncle and friends. Setting up a the tents and getting camp set up. Everybody in high spirits. Playing pranks on one another telling jokes and laughing. Back then if a spike was killed it was absolute success. Seeing deer in general was the talk of the camp. Everyone sharing their stories of what they saw. Talking to the guys that did kill. Getting All the details of how it all went down. I'm so glad I got to enjoy all that. The memories will always remain and bring a smile every time I think back. I'm still trying to rekindle some of that. As I bought a small camper. And put in for a couple quota hunts last few years. Still having fun but the ones I use to hunt with are either passed on or to old to get out there. But I've still got a few that camp and hunt with. Not like the old days but still a good time.

Mr.Bro

Deer or turkey camp was the best ever in the 80s and 90s. Get togethers at LBL every weekend. TURKEYS WERE ABUNDANT and deer were common. Camped across from the south entrance.
Deer hunting in those years was mostly on Humphreys County. Cold Branch, Buzzard Cave, the Lucas farms, I killed turkeys in city limits of Waverly while parked in the drive in theater, also Cherry Bottoms actually the hills above the bottoms.
Good times but not many pictures. Wish I had taken some then.

Mr.Bro

Also remember killing a 6 pointer the first year Sumner County opened. Maybe mid 70s. My brother killed an 11 pointer the same morning but we never found it. Rack was recovered by a friend a few days later.
Sad when all your hunting buddies have passed on. I miss them greatly.
Would be great to find another hunting partner. Can't find anyone to take it serious enough.

Good luck to all.

tickweed

Yes. Back when opening morning was opening morning. Wasnt a muzzleloader season. ANY buck was a trophy. Couldnt sleep the night before. The only climbers where the Baker tree climbers. I remember climbing up any tree l could climb, just standing or sitting on a limb, or a home built platform. No really good camo patterns, no really good cold weather clothes, nor rain gear. No cameras, no cell phones. Sitting around the campfire, just dreaming of taking a deer. Then the doe hunts began. You had to chose your county, go to the courthouse, put in for the draw. Man, like winning the lottery if you got drawn. l find myself thinking bout those days. In my mind, those where the good days.

ScLowCountry

It is interesting to listen to everyone talk about how fun hunting was and how the time spent with friends/family was so much better then. Back when there were less restrictions and liberal bag limits. Yes big bucks were rare but the good times were abundant

Now it's a horn competition and everyone gets jealous or butt hurt. It's almost like horn hunting has been detrimental to the sport.

DeerMan66

I know what you mean. Although I still think today is the "good ol' days" of hunting, looking back, those early years were simpler times, and any success meant more. The below pic was taken in 1991 and represents our "success" opening weekend of gun season. Four yearling bucks, and we couldn't have been prouder or more thrilled.
Thats a great picture. Back in the good ole days when you wore blue jeans or army pants.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
2-Step Enabled
I was just looking back through the Trophy Room and went back to the beginning and scrolled through until current. I had posted some pics a few years ago and noticed they weren't in there anymore so I'm guessing they were removed for some reason. That's not my point for writing this but just a side note. I believe if you look through the "trophies" listed you'll notice more and more pics and bigger and bigger deer as the years have gone by. A trophy in the 70's, 80's and 90's are certainly different than trophies today. Love looking at the old pics and remembering the days of hand me down guns and clothes and three speed on the column, 2 wheel drive pickups driving up old dry creek beds and through creeks. Cooking bacon, eggs and fried taters in one big skillet. Celebrating with every successful hunter in deer camp and walking around looking at all the deer hanging from the tree limbs. I wouldn't trade any amount of money for those memories. Many of my hunting buddies, my dad, uncles, friends have passed on now but I sill always have the memories of the days afield.
What years are missing?

BSK

Deer or turkey camp was the best ever in the 80s and 90s. Get togethers at LBL every weekend. TURKEYS WERE ABUNDANT and deer were common. Camped across from the south entrance.
Deer hunting in those years was mostly on Humphreys County. Cold Branch, Buzzard Cave, the Lucas farms, I killed turkeys in city limits of Waverly while parked in the drive in theater, also Cherry Bottoms actually the hills above the bottoms.
Good times but not many pictures. Wish I had taken some then.
That's where my place is. Also the Cathole Lease several TNdeer users are members of.

Lt.Dan

Good times

kaizen leader

Talk about climbers of the past. In the 60's I went with a couple old guys that made climbers out of folding chairs. They would stand in them for hours. I had no clue how to deer hunt but I had a great time and still do at 73. Yawl have a great season and be safe for more great memories. 🦌🏹🦃

timberjack86

I miss our cabin and all the friends and family that used to hunt with us when I was a kid. I grew up hunting in the mid to late 90s in the savage gulf- cherry branch area. What a time and place to grow up!! I was blessed and didn't know it!!

BSK

The Westbrook farm had turkeys everywhere. Memphis Boys had it leased but let me join in occasionally. Fun times
Don't know that property. I looked up Westbrook in the property index and didn't find anything. Any idea who owns the property now?

Rackseeker

It is interesting to listen to everyone talk about how fun hunting was and how the time spent with friends/family was so much better then. Back when there were less restrictions and liberal bag limits. Yes big bucks were rare but the good times were abundant

Now it's a horn competition and everyone gets jealous or butt hurt. It's almost like horn hunting has been detrimental to the sport.
I agree its turned into a competition for some and thats sad. I guess hunting means different things to different hunters. Back in the 80s I tried to kill my limit on bucks every year. And struggled alot of years even on just legal bucks. We ate alot of deer back then. Now we do good to eat one a year. The killing don't excite me a much as it use to. Getting older and being alot of work to get one out of mountain were I hunt isn't easy. Being in the woods and watching the sunrise and seeing wildlife in general is why I hunt these days. Don't get me wrong if I get a chance at a 4.5 yr old or better buck he will get lead poisoning and a lethal dose at that. We have twin gradbabies now and hope they enjoy being in the woods. I have them started and their not even two yet. When I see them they say, Poppy then hoot like a owl.

Latest posts