Treestand moving week

BSK

Good lord BSK you're giving me the nervous jitters! I don't think I've been this excited about deer season in a long time. Makes me think to start feeding them and moving my single man stand to my other property that I have! Best of luck to you this season!
Our biggest problem is deciding where to put stands. Normally, I have a pretty good idea about best locations. But this year, with the massive changes to the property (100 total acres of heavy timber cut scattered across seven locations, and four new big food plots), plus a change to what looks like a bumper White Oak acorn crop, I'm sort of left guessing. Will the deer use or avoid the timber cuts? We're seeing an amazing amount of first-year regrow in those plots, but much of that (weeds) will melt down after the first freeze. We're going to place of few stands overlooking these cuts in case the deer use them, but also a few stands around outside corners in case they are going around them. A big guessing game really.

akachuck

Our biggest problem is deciding where to put stands. Normally, I have a pretty good idea about best locations. But this year, with the massive changes to the property (100 total acres of heavy timber cut scattered across seven locations, and four new big food plots), plus a change to what looks like a bumper White Oak acorn crop, I'm sort of left guessing. Will the deer use or avoid the timber cuts? We're seeing an amazing amount of first-year regrow in those plots, but much of that (weeds) will melt down after the first freeze. We're going to place of few stands overlooking these cuts in case the deer use them, but also a few stands around outside corners in case they are going around them. A big guessing game really.
I completely understand man! No hate to you or anyone that uses food plots but I'm not the one to plant stuff grow it and spend all that time and $ ok them. Me and family have killed pretty good deer on our property without them. We put our stands on highly trafficked areas that we know deer go through quite a bit. Just a few me and my dad have killed over the past years without food plots lol. My small 6 and small 3 are mine. All the big deer have walked by him in the past and only little ones for me 😂. Still hoping for my first ACTUAL GIANT this season.

Attachments

• E827B2C6-C26F-4D61-B075-394025600D3C.jpeg
    E827B2C6-C26F-4D61-B075-394025600D3C.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 3D406FE9-8D83-4329-9390-F9783499BE96.jpeg
    3D406FE9-8D83-4329-9390-F9783499BE96.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 40
  • E2272ECD-279F-4944-B2B5-74F9963D5A25.jpeg
    E2272ECD-279F-4944-B2B5-74F9963D5A25.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 5BB2E293-A173-4E5F-9442-4330A3FA265F.jpeg
    5BB2E293-A173-4E5F-9442-4330A3FA265F.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 42

JCDEERMAN

I completely understand man! No hate to you or anyone that uses food plots but I'm not the one to plant stuff grow it and spend all that time and $ ok them. Me and family have killed pretty good deer on our property without them. We put our stands on highly trafficked areas that we know deer go through quite a bit. Just a few me and my dad have killed over the past years without food plots lol. My small 6 and small 3 are mine. All the big deer have walked by him in the past and only little ones for me 😂. Still hoping for my first ACTUAL GIANT this season.
I really like that mount of your 6 and 3. Love the old sign that's added.

BSK

Honestly, I almost never hunt food plots. We have them to attract deer to the property during hunting season. But I do the vast majority of my hunting on terrain features and specific habitat edge features (usually in combination). We're putting up condo stands on food plots just for those rainy or brutally cold days. Some of our "hunters" are family members who's entire deer season consists of a week's vacation. When you're entire hunting season is 6-7 days, you want to be able to hunt on rainy days.

Of course that doesn't mean I won't use food plots to my advantage. One of my favorite stand locations is on the downwind side of a food plot, back far enough from the plot that I can only see the edge. I want to catch older bucks who are back in the woods swinging around the downwind side of the plot to scent check it. I want to be even farther downwind than they are.

JCDEERMAN

Of course that doesn't mean I won't use food plots to my advantage. One of my favorite stand locations is on the downwind side of a food plot, back far enough from the plot that I can only see the edge. I want to catch older bucks who are back in the woods swinging around the downwind side of the plot to scent check it. I want to be even farther downwind than they are.
This! Most can't help but get just a little closer to that field so they can see a little ways into it. That decision could make or break a season. I've certainly been there and most of the hunters at our place have been there, or still can't break away from those plots.

I will be very interested in what you all observe this year. I know you all record a lot of data. With that amount of habitat change, it will be interesting. You'll learn a lot and then I'd say your "treestand moving week" next year will be even more busy. You may need a couple special forces airmen.

bobbuck

I would be over looking one of those cut overs come muzzleloader and gun. I have never seen as many bucks in one year as a first and second year cutover.

BSK

I would be over looking one of those cut overs come muzzleloader and gun. I have never seen as many bucks in one year as a first and second year cutover.
I'm sure hoping so. Even though the timber harvest was only finished in March, we've already got 4-foot tall pokeweed filling those cuts. Even some of the stump sprouts are up 3-4 feet. This wet spring and summer has been a huge benefit.

TJS209

We have sportsman condo that we pulled up using a fourwheeler and a tractor bucket. Went up with relative ease. Anchored it in with a long cork screw stake and cable attached underneath and t posts on the legs. Add cross bracing. No big deal. Add some scrap carpet to help deaden noise.

The 4 redneck blinds we have were a little more of a chore to get up.

BSK

We have sportsman condo that we pulled up using a fourwheeler and a tractor bucket. Went up with relative ease. Anchored it in with a long cork screw stake and cable attached underneath and t posts on the legs. Add cross bracing. No big deal. Add some scrap carpet to help deaden noise.
That's basically our plan.

BSK

Don't forget the porch extension. There are perks to hunting with gentlemen that are getting older and enjoy hunting in comfort.
Ummm, yes. I have a client (club) that has up 55 Redneck blinds with towers and porches! I don't want to think of what that cost.

tellico4x4

Don't shy away from those cuts. We always kill big deer in them for the first 1-4 years. It's like they don't realize that they can be seen, still stay on same old patterns. After a few years they learn & sightings diminish. We relocated a few stands earlier to take advantage of 200 acres of last year clear-cuts.

Latest posts