Treestand moving week

BSK

We primarily hunt from ladder stands on our property, most of which are the big, heavy 2-person ladders. Because it really helps to have multiple people to take them down and put them back up, each summer all the hunting family members travel in for a "treestand moving week." We take down and relocate as many treestands as our bodies can handle. However, this year we also have 4 new Sportman's Condo elevated blinds to stand up. Unfortunately, we don't have access to a tractor with forks that can lift the condos straight up high enough to get the 4x4 legs underneath, so we will be trying to stand them up from laying sideways on the ground. We are planning to use the bucket of a tractor to lift the blind end of the tower as high as possible, while using ropes over the top of a long pole to a UTV to pull them up. In addition, the tower's back legs will be pegged to the ground so they can't flip up or slide over the ground.

For those who have installed raised condo stands before, any other advice on standing them up?

bobbuck

Good luck! Be careful! I hate setting up stands this time of year. Too hot and I can just look at poison ivy and get it. Standing the box stands up should not be too bad if you have enough man power plus the tractor. Are you setting the legs in concrete?

RS

If you had a set of forks for your tractor, would you be able to lift them high enough to put the 4x4 posts under the stands? If so, I would definitely think about buying a set of forks. Not only are they handy for things like that, but I use them just as much or more than the bucket on my tractor. I use the forks a lot for moving brush and loading equipment on trailers, etc.

DoubleRidge

Cross brace the 4x4 post to each other before standing the blind up.... allot of pressure on two leg brackets that carry the two legs which are touching the ground.....even if you don't want permanent cross braces you can screw temp braces on for the lifting process.

We also used tractor bucket to lift as high as possible...then drove tractor forward to stand blind up rest of way.....I had rope (with slack) tied to bucket ....so as blind started to tip the rope caught it ...then we drove forward slowly lowering blind into position.

We set 4x4 post on concrete stepping stones.....then beside our bottom brace that tied all four legs together ....we drove anchors into the ground and u-bolted anchor to bottom brace......we cut anchors 3' to 4' long from old t-post.

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_183203167~4.jpg
    IMG_20201006_183203167~4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20201027_165641351~2.jpg
    IMG_20201027_165641351~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60

BSK

If you had a set of forks for your tractor, would you be able to lift them high enough to put the 4x4 posts under the stands? If so, I would definitely think about buying a set of forks. Not only are they handy for things like that, but I use them just as much or more than the bucket on my tractor. I use the forks a lot for moving brush and loading equipment on trailers, etc.
Nope, our tractor is a little 2032 John Deere. Even with forks, won't lift bottom of blind high enough.

BSK

Cross brace the 4x4 post to each other before standing the blind up.... allot of pressure on two leg brackets that carry the two legs which are touching the ground.....even if you don't want permanent cross braces you can screw temp braces on for the lifting process.

We also used tractor bucket to lift as high as possible...then drove tractor forward to stand blind up rest of way.....I had rope (with slack) tied to bucket ....so as blind started to tip the rope caught it ...then we drove forward slowly lowering blind into position.

We set 4x4 post on concrete stepping stones.....then beside our bottom brace that tied all four legs together ....we drove anchors into the ground and u-bolted anchor to bottom brace......we cut anchors 3' to 4' long from old t-post.
Tying the "back rope" to the tractor is a great idea! We planned on have people holding them, but having it tied to the tractor is a much better idea.

We plan on using t-posts and 4x4 u-bolts to anchor legs.

And cross-bracing the legs BEFORE standing it up is wise advice. Thanks!

BSK

Good luck! Be careful! I hate setting up stands this time of year. Too hot and I can just look at poison ivy and get it. Standing the box stands up should not be too bad if you have enough man power plus the tractor. Are you setting the legs in concrete?
Waaaay too hot and humid, but we find getting stands moved to new locations before the deer show up (we sort of have a migratory deer herd that doesn't move into the property until September) makes a big difference. And thankfully, I'm immune to poison ivy. Only thing I can figure is I got into poison oak (much more potent than poison ivy) out West as a kid so many times that I'm immune to poison ivy. I cut poison ivy vines and swing on them!

Not setting legs in concrete because we may want to move them in future years, but are anchoring legs with t-posts and u-bolts around legs.

DoubleRidge

If you want a serious laugh! I've watched other's mistakes on YouTube, so hopefully won't make the same ones!

Watching YouTube videos is where the rope with slack tied to bucket idea came from.....I saw a few tip over and crash....it's a wonder some of those folks didn't get hurt.

DoubleRidge

Not really big on shooting houses, but with all the big, long food plots we've created, would be nice to have enough enclosed blinds on food plots where everyone can have one to hunt on rainy days.

No doubt nice on rainy days....but also really nice on windy bitter days too.

tellico4x4

With enough ropes, snatch blocks, young guys, tractors & beer you can just about conquer any task at deer camp! No doubt you'll get it done.

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_164034890_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210625_164034890_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20210625_191238901_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210625_191238901_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92

ruthunter

We use 4wheeler to raise our sportsman condos, we put legs on with the ladder side facing 4wheeler and pop them up. We put braces on after we get them up and have them level. Taking them down its better to have a tractor.

akachuck

Good lord BSK you're giving me the nervous jitters! I don't think I've been this excited about deer season in a long time. Makes me think to start feeding them and moving my single man stand to my other property that I have! Best of luck to you this season!

BSK

With enough ropes, snatch blocks, young guys, tractors & beer you can just about conquer any task at deer camp! No doubt you'll get it done.
Ropes, snatch blocks, tractor/UTV, and beer we've got covered. Young guys, not so much! Our work crew is four relatively fit guys in their 60s, and one non-so-fit guy in his 70s to drive the tractor. Although this year, we'll have a crazy fit Special Forces Airmen in his 30s in the crew. I think I know who's going to do most of the thinking and work!

Latest posts