Tree Step Brand

Weegee

I hunt on a combination of public land and a couple private properties in Westmoreland. I like using my Lone Wolf lock-on, so my plan for private land this year is to select some stand trees and screw in permanent tree steps. Anybody got a favorite brand/least favorite brand/advice before I buy a 20 pack of these things?

Weegee

John Eberhart has a couple Youtube vids where he uses long grade 8 bolts, I think 5/8" or 3/4" diameter??? He drills an under size hole then beats them in with a hammer. He says they're there forever and never give out. And they're cheap.
Interesting... I'll check that out.

Omega

Not permanent...well, can be but I liked the foldable steps I purchased, like almost 30 years ago. When I started hunting from a stand, I bought a lock on and these type of steps. I kept them in a fanny pack, yea that long ago lol, and could get these in without any light.

s-l640.jpg

Weegee

Not permanent...well, can be but I liked the foldable steps I purchased, like almost 30 years ago. When I started hunting from a stand, I bought a lock on and these type of steps. I kept them in a fanny pack, yea that long ago lol, and could get these in without any light.
Hey, they're still around... I've got a Mystery Ranch "lumbar pack" that comes with me on any short hunt. Pretty handy!

Weegee

5EA6DE74-4A05-4F8C-A85E-AF3CB851CA9A.jpeg

Above is a 6" long 3/8" grade 8 bolt. Below is a Leimo tree step. In order to get the same size step using the bolt I'd need to go at least 2" longer. Plus the knurling on the step is nice. Might just go with the steps, they're not super expensive. Thanks for all the input!

Snake

John Eberhart has a couple Youtube vids where he uses long grade 8 bolts, I think 5/8" or 3/4" diameter??? He drills an under size hole then beats them in with a hammer. He says they're there forever and never give out. And they're cheap.
Some types of trees eat the bolts into , I learned the hard way about 16 foot drop .

tree_ghost

If it's private that you can leave stuff up on then just get some cheap lock-on sticks and leave them up. They're real convenient if your hunting the same location more than once and they're pretty cheap and readily avilible.

Weegee

If it's private that you can leave stuff up on then just get some cheap lock-on sticks and leave them up. They're real convenient if your hunting the same location more than once and they're pretty cheap and readily avilible.
An 8 pack of these steps is only $25. That'll probably get me as high as I want to be. I don't know of any sticks that would be that cheap/durable.

Buzzard Breath

An 8 pack of these steps is only $25. That'll probably get me as high as I want to be. I don't know of any sticks that would be that cheap/durable.
Rural King's 20' climbing sticks are $40.

If you use the screw-ins, be sure to remove and inspect them after every season. I've had them rust and snap off below the bark while I've been climbing a tree before. I now only use the climbing sticks.

Lost Lake

The Leimo type step that's pictured above is what I use. I bought about 100 of em 25 years ago and they're pretty good.

I still have about 20 of the Centaur folding and detachable aluminum steps that I use sometimes if I want to just leave the screws in the trees and carry the steps to multiple stands.