Trap Prep?

TNJones4530

2-Step Enabled
Is anyone prepping traps by degreasing and waxing this year?

New trapper trying to remove a few varmints on some land this year. Bought some new foothold traps and wondering if I'm able to tag along in the waxing process. Have a block of wax already.

Last edited:

wildlifefarmer

With new or used traps, I clean them by using 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water. Soak overnight, spray off with hose or pressure washer an allow to dry. While drying, they will get just a tad rusty. I dip and dry twice in Full Metal Jacket. No waxing nor need for a dye using this method.

jman 125

Log wood dye and do not wax. If tbey are new speed the rust process up by degreasing then spray with vinegar let set for 30 min or so then ad salt to peroxide and sray then watch them rust. Rinse off when rusted and dye with logwood dye or walnut hulls. no real need for wax .and whatever you do do not paint them. The chemical smell will cost you animals you would normally catch. Tried it and had cams out on them and had alot of dig ups.good luck to you also full metal jacket is good but if you need to redo it iits a royal pain to get off just my humble opinion

hammer33

If you are running a commercial trap line, the old ways are best. Dye and wax. If you are just doing it to control critters and have fun, then degrease (cheap carb cleaner is quick and easy) and spray paint. Here is the trick to the paint...... You need to let it cure outside for a couple weeks to off gas all the chemical smell. I use whatever leftover rustolem I have around from other projects. Right now Im running some pretty Hammered bronze traps. LOL> Caught yote #3 in the same set in one week this morning. Same trap too.

Latest posts