Tractor question

muddyboots

I have used an old ford 3000 diesel for all my food plot needs for the last 20 years. It has developed some motor problems and I really don't want to sink anymore money into so im comtemplating a new tractor. Everyone around here tells with the new 4 wheel drive tractors not as much hp is needed. I don't buy it. If you were gonna get a new tractor to foodplot with what would be ur min hp wanted? Thanks.

woodchuckc

That is a hard one to answer, as it depends on what you need to do. If all you need to do is mow, lightly disk / till, and plant already existing plots you could easily get by with something in the 25 HP range (of course, it would take longer because your attachments would be sized to match the tractor). If you are talking about clearing, plowing or chisel plowing, and spreading tons of lime / fertilizer or doing quite a few acres of plots, 40 HP or more would be more reasonable.

However, you have heard right about the 4WD tractors being able to do more work than a comparable HP older 2WD ag tractor. I can easily plow with a 3-bottom 14" plow with my 50 HP 4WD Kubota in old fields that hadn't been plowed in almost 50 years. In fact, I have buried my plow just about to the top link a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention (unfortunately, the majority of new 4WD "compact" tractors don't have draft control on the 3 point hitch). The tractor didn't stall out - it just stopped and all 4 wheels were spinning but i have R4 tires on it, not ag tires.

Hope this helps!

spoon

I have the LS 38 hp 4 wd and it hasnt let me down yet even with a 4 chisel plow. The only thing I dont like about the tractor is that pto stays in gear. (no free spin)

Boll Weevil

An awful lot has to do with the tractor's gross weight as well...some of those old tractors were HEAVY when considering the horsepower to weight ratio. Likewise, typically a 4wd is somewhat heavier than a 2wd. This translates into usable traction.

Size not withstanding (width, height, maneuverability) I always recommend buy as much as you can comfortably afford and don't forget implements cost. I use our little tractor (65hp 4wd) for things like working plots, maintaining roads, moving round bales, and tight quarters mowing...it's perfect. A bigger machine just isn't as nimble and can mean wasting resources (fuel, time, money).

That being said, my guess is that if you've been getting by all these years with 45-50 in a 2wd you'll be perfectly satisfied with a like-sized 4wd. Good luck...buying a new tractor is exciting stuff!!

muddyboots

I guess i didnt ask the question very well. Tractor data has ford 3000 listed at 47 hp. I bushog and run a 7-0 disc with it til now. I have been looking at Kubota L3800 and L3200 and was wondering if they would do the same work as my ford. I love there compact size and even wouldnt mind dropping to a 6-0 disk but i dont want to be out there for hours disking over the same crap to get it tilled up ready for planting.

Boll Weevil

Muddy...I'd say no they won't be the same. That Kubota is over 1000lbs lighter than your old Ford. That alone will result in a fairly significant difference in productivity...not to mention reducing grunt by 10-15hp.

tickweed

I had a ford 3000 diesel, my buddy has one. We both also have 32 horse 4x4 Kobotas. The ford wont out do them pulling, maybe a little stronger at the pto, that's it. We do have fluid filled tires.

tellico4x4

I've got a L3400 4WD that was bought 5 years ago specifically for food plot use and I wouldn't take anything for my "orange mule". It pulls a 6' disk & bush hog in our rough terrain with no problem. I bought it as a good friend in Texas had bought one the year before to clear a 80 acre tract of scrub that he had bought. Another friend of mine from Florida bought one last year after spending a day on mine at camp. His wife had inherited 80 acres of swap that hadn't been farmed in 50 years. No-one that sees the transformation that he has done (including a 5 acre bean plot) believes that he did it all with that little tractor.

One of our guys in BHC had a 50+hp 2WD Massey and that he replaced with a L3800 last year.

The ONLY time that I thought my L3400 wasn't enough tractor was last year pulling 8,000 lb fertlizer in a spreader and trying to make a turn on a hillside plot. All that weight behind me jacknifed the rig, and was pushing me towards the edge of a hollow...was a very high pucker factor experience getting everything stopped & straightened out.

Another good thing about this tractor, is that I can easily load & pull it on one of my 16'trailers.

Boll Weevil

tellico4x4 said:
All that weight behind me jacknifed the rig, and was pushing me towards the edge of a hollow.
Scary...and something we don't always think about! I've seen it time and again; sometimes the "going" ain't the hard part it's the "stopping."

I had the same type experience but on a much smaller scale: ATV pulling a load of big chunk rock on a 10ft trailer to repair a creek crossing. It's real sandy in there and as I started downhill toward the creek, gravity took over. :eek: In a flash it became the load of rock driving the ATV vs. other way around.

Fortunately it was a short (though very high anxiety) slide down to the creek. Once everything came to a stop I recall saying to myself, "Well I guess this as good a place as any to unload this rock."

muddyboots

tellico4x4 said:
I've got a L3400 4WD that was bought 5 years ago specifically for food plot use and I wouldn't take anything for my "orange mule". It pulls a 6' disk & bush hog in our rough terrain with no problem. I bought it as a good friend in Texas had bought one the year before to clear a 80 acre tract of scrub that he had bought. Another friend of mine from Florida bought one last year after spending a day on mine at camp. His wife had inherited 80 acres of swap that hadn't been farmed in 50 years. No-one that sees the transformation that he has done (including a 5 acre bean plot) believes that he did it all with that little tractor.

One of our guys in BHC had a 50+hp 2WD Massey and that he replaced with a L3800 last year.

The ONLY time that I thought my L3400 wasn't enough tractor was last year pulling 8,000 lb fertlizer in a spreader and trying to make a turn on a hillside plot. All that weight behind me jacknifed the rig, and was pushing me towards the edge of a hollow...was a very high pucker factor experience getting everything stopped & straightened out.

Another good thing about this tractor, is that I can easily load & pull it on one of my 16'trailers.

Thats what i was looking for thanks!

Gravey

I have a Kubota grand L3130 that I use at my house (5 acres). I run a 6' finish mower, 5' disc, and 5' bushhog. Borrowed a 7' box blade and it did fine but looking for a 5' or 6' one to grade my driveway. I bought the base model transmission (DST I think) and love it. Just clutch it and shift gears if needed. You dont have to stop. The glide shift was about $1000 more if I remember correctly and the only difference is once you're moving you don't have to clutch it to switch gears. The hydrostat (HST) is nice but I was warned to stay away from it because of the cost to�repair if it messes up and don't regret it one bit. I do wish I had bought the 4-wheel drive version.

woodchuckc

I only have experience with hydrostat transmissions on Kubotas, but I don't think you have to worry about the hydrostat transmissions - they are plenty stout, and make life so much easier when using a FEL, grading or mowing (I have a bunch of trees and flower beds scattered around the yard so I have to do a lot of cutting around things). I've never had a minute's trouble out of mine other than replacing one hose (I have / had a Grand L5010, Grand L3010, B7800, BX2200, and G2160 with hydrostats, over 5000 combined hours). If all you are doing is bushhogging and plowing, you can save some money with a gear or glideshift transmission and you won't miss it. Before I got my L5010, I had a M4900 with a gear transmission and it was fine for bushhogging and plowing, but it was a pain using the FEL!

BigAl

tellico4x4 said:

Same tractor I have. Mine is an '04 HST model. I don't have a trailer and borrow one when I want to move mine. For some reason the 16' seems a little short with a bush hog attached, 18' works better.

Gravey

woodchuckc said:
I only have experience with hydrostat transmissions on Kubotas, but I don't think you have to worry about the hydrostat transmissions - they are plenty stout, and make life so much easier when using a FEL, grading or mowing (I have a bunch of trees and flower beds scattered around the yard so I have to do a lot of cutting around things). I've never had a minute's trouble out of mine other than replacing one hose (I have / had a Grand L5010, Grand L3010, B7800, BX2200, and G2160 with hydrostats, over 5000 combined hours). If all you are doing is bushhogging and plowing, you can save some money with a gear or glideshift transmission and you won't miss it. Before I got my L5010, I had a M4900 with a gear transmission and it was fine for bushhogging and plowing, but it was a pain using the FEL!
Good to know on the hydrostat transmission. May reconsider if I ever buy another one. Bought mine new in 2005 and have 490 hours so she's got a long way to go at least the way I have it planned.

drrxnupe

I had no experience with tractors until I was kinda forced to take advantage of a deal on a Mahindra 6530 4x4 65hp with a 10ft bush hog. My family's property in MS was getting out of hand because no one was caring for it. So I decided to step up (although I'm 5 hours away) and get it under control. So far I think its freakin awesome! I've been cutting, bush hogging, and clearing a few areas on the farm. We put in 3 food plots (a dove field and 2 fields of mixed food for deer) about 2 weeks ago. I also got an IH 480 disk which is HUGE! My Mahindra cruised around like nothing was behind it.

Latest posts