Food Plots Top sowing

Hunter 257W

I'd wait. This time of year we typically don't get enough rain to establish anything that's not covered with dirt. Putting lime out now is a good idea to give it time to work before Fall planting.

fourwheeler431

We were thinking about just mowing and liming. We have clover and wheat in the plot now,but if it would help we were going to top sow some more clover.

timberjack86

Hunter 257W said:
I'd wait. This time of year we typically don't get enough rain to establish anything that's not covered with dirt. Putting lime out now is a good idea to give it time to work before Fall planting.
While I agree we USED to not get enough rain these last couple of years we have had plenty of rain. I would try it.

Boll Weevil

I'm top sowing some sorghum Friday in a field we just couldn't get to because it's been so wet...with any luck that stuff will probably be like a jungle in a few weeks. If you've had the rain and it's a warm season crop, I'd throw it in the ground.

Been wet, 90s coming, let'er rip.

BSK

Just remember that with top sowing, seed before you mow, and small-seed plants work much better. If you mow first and then seed, the ground may have so much duff on it that the seed can't make soil contact. Mowing after seeding will cover the seed with duff, which helps hold moisture at the seed layer. I've experienced very poor results top-sowing large seed, such as buckwheat or any type of bean. I've had moderate results with medium size seed, such as wheat. Very small seed-size plants such as clover or brassicas work well top-sown.