Tomato gravy?

Coffee Break

Has anyone ever had tomato gravy? I was talking to a Amish friend of mine yesterday and he was telling me about having tomato gravy over biscuits!

Dodge Man

2 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon sugar or honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (scant)
15-ounce can tomatoes
1/2 cup milk or evaporated milk
Get out a nice big skillet. Heat the margarine or oil over medium heat. Stir in the flour with a fork or a whisk until it is lump free. Let the fat simmer for a moment or two, to toast the flour just a little bit. Add the sugar or honey, salt and little less than 1/4-teaspoon of pepper. Add the tomatoes. Smash the tomatoes with your fork to make them sort of choppy or shredded. This gravy is not smooth, so you don't have to work real hard at smashing the tomatoes. The lumpy tomatoes are actually what give it the characteristic texture which Tomato Gravy is famous for. When it begins to boil and thicken, add the milk gradually. Stir it all up and let it boil again. The milk will sometimes curdle a little bit. I don't know how to stop it, so I just serve it anyway. It tastes so good, folks seldom notice if the milk is smooth or not. This is good with any grain for a main dish, or just plain over noodles or potatoes. If you can your own tomatoes, you can double or triple the recipe for each quart of tomatoes you use. This recipe makes about 2-1/2 cup of gravy. Good with biscuits for breakfast or lunch, especially in the wintertime.

UPDATE from a reader named Bob; November 2005

Bob says that in his restaurant they add the milk to the flour and fat first and then let it thicken. When it is bubbly and thick, then you add your tomatoes. This is supposed to keep it from curdling. If your tomato gravy always curdles, then try this trick and see if it turns out better.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/tomatogravy.htm

I don't think I will be trying this one my self!

Dodge Man

This one don't sound as bad!

Mama's Tomato Gravy

Ingredients

1/4 cup bacon drippings
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups water
1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
salt and ground black pepper to taste
Directions

Heat bacon drippings in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir the flour into the bacon drippings and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Slowly pour the water into the flour mixture while whisking. Whisk in the tomato paste. Cook the mixture until it begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/mamas-tom ... etail.aspx

A

Anonymous

Now that is some good eating there.. Nothing beats a batch of Tomato gravy over rice with a venison roast on a cold winters night!!

Coffee Break

THEW said:
How do I change username? Do I have to get in touch with an administrator to remove the word "Button" from my username?

What is the title that appears beneath my Display Name in posts?
It's a system-generated User Title to give ranking to your postcount. You will progress through the various levels according to the cumulative number of posts you have made.

What are these titles about?
Everyone has a title within the forum. You will notice the title below the Display Name in each post. Some titles are automatically assigned based on the number of posts a user has made, and some titles are assigned by the forum owner to denote official representatives of the company or other VIPs in the forums.

# of post
0 Button
21 Spike
100 4 Point
500 6 Point
1000 8 Point
2499 10 Point
5000 12 Point
7499 14 Point
10000 16 Point
20000 18 Point
25000 Non-Typical

DoeDestruction

Coffee Break said:
THEW said:
How do I change username? Do I have to get in touch with an administrator to remove the word "Button" from my username?

What is the title that appears beneath my Display Name in posts?
It's a system-generated User Title to give ranking to your postcount. You will progress through the various levels according to the cumulative number of posts you have made.

What are these titles about?
Everyone has a title within the forum. You will notice the title below the Display Name in each post. Some titles are automatically assigned based on the number of posts a user has made, and some titles are assigned by the forum owner to denote official representatives of the company or other VIPs in the forums.

# of post
0 Button
21 Spike
100 4 Point
500 6 Point
1000 8 Point
2499 10 Point
5000 12 Point
7499 14 Point
10000 16 Point
20000 18 Point
25000 Non-Typical