Favorite flour for gravy?

TNReb

I haven't made gravy in years. There used to be a particular kind I liked.. and I haven't been able to remember the name of it. I also haven't seen it at the store. I'd remember it when I see/hear it.

Anyone have a particular brand of flour they prefer for gravy? (breakfast gravy.. not brown gravy)

Bleached or unbleached?

Last edited:

Remington700

9AFF14C1-02AA-41BA-98D0-86E5B2AC12EF.jpeg

mike243

never ever self rising for gravy , it lumps a lot worse ,white lilly I think , may have changed the name since the last time I bought some 😭 , on a brighter note restocked my Runion breading mix yesterday 35lbs $42

mike243

Best thing I have found for breading meats or vegetables for frying, no other seasonings needed

Attachments

• 5505B1E6-2268-4B2A-86DF-08B0B3573666.jpeg
    5505B1E6-2268-4B2A-86DF-08B0B3573666.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 75

TAFKAP

I haven't made gravy in years. There used to be a particular kind I liked.. and I haven't been able to remember the name of it. I also haven't seen it at the store. I'd remember it when I see/hear it.

Anyone have a particular brand of flour they prefer for gravy? (breakfast gravy.. not brown gravy)

Bleached or unbleached?
I quit buying bleached flour in an attempt to limit the level of processing in my food. Haven't noticed a difference. I just use all purpose

RobDooley

You know what Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs sang:
"For the finest biscuits, cakes and pies,
Get Martha White self-rising flour,
The one all-purpose flour,
Martha White self-rising flour's
Got Hot Rise"

We also use White Lily. That's not racist is it?

WTM

for gravy i use self rising bleached flour because my wife doesnt like the flavor of all purpose flour in gravy. use a wisk to cook the flour in bacon fat and you wont have any lumps before you add the milk.

we use white lilly or gold medal, only because that is all our stores usually carry. no difference really.

jlanecr500

for gravy i use self rising bleached flour because my wife doesnt like the flavor of all purpose flour in gravy. use a wisk to cook the flour in bacon fat and you wont have any lumps before you add the milk.

we use white lilly or gold medal, only because that is all our stores usually carry. no difference really.
This is how my family has made gravy all of my 55 years. Never seen it lumpy.

Safari Hunt

Pioneer mix...been buying it for years. Wife has made sausage or bacon gravy from scratch but Pioneer is convenient at times. She buys Food City's brand of flour. Be interesting where it is milled.

DaveB

Mom used to save bacon fat just for her white gravy.

There is no alternative I know of that works. Believe me I have tried about 20 times and never, not ever, made gravy that you could eat. Anyone got a recipe I'll give it a shot.

FTG-05

Yep, low and slow is the way to go. I get good yield without any chance of burning or overheating the lard, which is bad. Temps are high enough (on High) to boil off any water (also bad). It's about as "set it and forget it" as it gets.

i want you to be my forever

I make brown gravy as follows:

About 6 tablespoons of bacon drippings
All purpose flour (enough to make a roux with the bacon drippings, 1/4 cup?)
Once roux is made whisk in COLD water, 2 cups and continue stirring
add salt pepper
stir until gravy will stick to a spoon
always cook it in cast iron.

Bama Creek Bum

Latest posts