Today's Coyote Hunt

10mm4me

Me and bro went out this morning. We called this sucker in after about an hr of calling and working a homemade decoy. I made the shot on a slow trot @ 227 yds.

coyote1.jpg

coyote2.jpg

coyote3.jpg

I know, I know, my shot is a little far back, but this critter was running when shot him...

coyote4.jpg

10mm4me

deerjackie said:
what call sounds did the trick?we are downloading mp3 now going sat hopefully. thanks

I took one of my dogs old toys, a squirrel squeaker, and put it on a wire hanger and tied 100ft of 10lb fishing line for a decoy. A few tugs on itfrom my shooting nest and it looks as real as can be. I use a Mini-Phantom handheld electronic call, a knight & Hale distressed jack rabbit blower call, and also a diaphram turkey call blown into just right sounds real convinving. We did a little of all 3. I always use a distress call in the morning, I never howl, only howl in the evenings.JMO.

10mm4me

Thanks. We saw him coming from 600 yds, I had the bipod and just waited for his chest to hit my crosshairs and pulled the trigger, he ran off about 25 ft into a creek bottom. We waited about 30 min to go look for him and I found him...STILL ALIVE!! and mad as hell, snarling and what not, I drew my 10mm and put one through his ear and out the other and that pretty much shut him up. I recovered that bullet (180gr Hornady XTP JHP) and boy did it do it's job w/expansion and weight retention.

10mm4me

Yeah, just as we were about to move my brother spotted him way off coming out of the tree line and he just trotted along it right towards our decoy.

10mm4me

30-06, 150gr ballistic tip. And the thing of it is, it did not destroy the pelt, it is not "too much gun" for varmints, the only advantage I see for a traditional varmint gun is 1. they are usually lighter 2. Ammo is usually cheaper 3. Yes, they shoot flatter, but if you know your gun this is not a factor as far drop compensation goes. I zero my 30-06 1.5" high @ 100yds and I will hit where the crosshairs lie on any game size target @ 100-300 yds.

Latest posts