TN Elk hunting Overview?

CliffordN

Can anyone give me an idea of how Elk hunting works in TN? I know about the draw system, and that the odds are highly against getting drawn. But someone will. I want to know about access to areas, if guides would be available, if there are any areas where someone not capable of a strenuous hike should consider putting in for, etc. Would there be any advantage to putting in for bow versus gun, other than the obvious, because of hunt timing?
You know, help a guy out...

Harold Money jr

I've had experience with the elk hunts over the years. ALL of the zones have elk in them, they are designed to give hunters the best chance to be successful. I've seen the early bow hunts have extremely hot weather and that's not a good thing for day time movement. Usually it will be cool at least a day or two during the bow season. For the gun season they might not be bugling like bow season but, getting within 100yards of elk is not a real problem. I hear that guides will swarm you with hunts costing several thousands of dollars, my take is you don't really need a guide unless you are a beginner or can't hunt more than an afternoon or two. I'd say don't shoot the first bull you see unless it's a real good one, they are a lot easier to hunt than an older buck.

CliffordN

I've had experience with the elk hunts over the years. ALL of the zones have elk in them, they are designed to give hunters the best chance to be successful. I've seen the early bow hunts have extremely hot weather and that's not a good thing for day time movement. Usually it will be cool at least a day or two during the bow season. For the gun season they might not be bugling like bow season but, getting within 100yards of elk is not a real problem. I hear that guides will swarm you with hunts costing several thousands of dollars, my take is you don't really need a guide unless you are a beginner or can't hunt more than an afternoon or two. I'd say don't shoot the first bull you see unless it's a real good one, they are a lot easier to hunt than an older buck.
So these hunts are on public land? Or should you plan to pay a trespass fee?

timberjack86

Great advice, I'll probably shoot the first legal bull I see and never look back!

Madbowh

Can anyone give me an idea of how Elk hunting works in TN? I know about the draw system, and that the odds are highly against getting drawn. But someone will. I want to know about access to areas, if guides would be available, if there are any areas where someone not capable of a strenuous hike should consider putting in for, etc. Would there be any advantage to putting in for bow versus gun, other than the obvious, because of hunt timing?
You know, help a guy out...
Call the region office and ask, maybe find a game warden to talk to. When they first started this I cake and talked to someone and they said once harvested they will gladly come help. The game wardens I talked to said he'd get a 4 wheeler out there and a couple guys to help, not sure if that's true but I have up putting in and do Colorado drop camps they are relatively cheap. I also always get cow tags to hell with counting points I want meat especially going out there. Cheapest so far I've got it to is 3200 tag drop camp gas every little thing. $266.00 savings a month.