TN Duck season

southernhunter

I have never hunted ducks. We recently got a piece of property that had ducks on it last winter.

looked at hunting guide but didn't understand dates completely

I was told the ducks on the property was wood ducks mostly and some mallard but only saw them in January which appears seasons was closed?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Season will be open through the end of January. Don't worry. You'll get a crack at them.
Season opens for two days the Saturday after Thanksgiving, then opens again in early December until January 31st.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Around November, if you can, keep your distance one morning a good half hour before sunup, and watch with a pair of binos where the ducks land and where they come in from…or where they take off from if your property is a roost area.

That'll give you a sense of where you should set up to maximize your shot opportunity.

Other than that, remember you need to shoot nontoxic shot to be legal. I like #2 steel shot because it kills good while being relatively cheap; if it's tight quarters shooting then #4's are good too.

If one person has a pair of waders or a kayak in the truck, it can make retrieving ducks you kill way easier.

Last edited:

Latest posts