Time to switch brands of scopes.......

oneshothc

I have always used Simmons scopes for as long as I can remember. I have never had any kind of problem out of any that I have ever owned until now! I lost the eyeguard off of my scope that is on my muzzle-loader. I thought,"no problem, I'll just call Simmons and get a new one". WRONG!!! They told me that their scopes are made over-seas and that they cannot get replcement parts for them. It's a little rubber eyeguard, what's the deal? If you cannot get replacement parts for something, WHY HAVE IT? I will be switching to Nikon, Leupold or something before next season!

breeze900rr

Yes lupy's do!!! I've had bout every scope there is.... simmons, tasco, bsa, bushnell, leupold, and nikon! Go with Nikon! Even the "cheap" Nikons (prostaff & buckmaster) have top quality brightness & optics. Accurate on top of that! and will stay that way!

breeze900rr

Most are saying leupold or nikon. Neither would be a wrong choice!!! I have both and no complaint on either! Nikon seems to be a little brighter to me, but dont get me wrong the leupolds are plenty bright!

TN RDG RNR

Most things made nowadays are intended to be disposable. If you want a real quality product that will give you years of satisfied service you cant get it at Walmart and you have to pay for it.

CZ284

Anybody have Leupold and Nikon? Which one do you prefer? I have always used the Leupold Vari XIII, but have one gun that I don't shoot much and would like to put something not quite as expensive on it. Nikon makes a 3-9x50 I saw in a local shop for something like $229. I've heard they're good, and $300+ cheaper sure makes them attractive for a seldom used gun.

Thoughts anyone?

breeze900rr

CZ284 said:
Anybody have Leupold and Nikon? Which one do you prefer? I have always used the Leupold Vari XIII, but have one gun that I don't shoot much and would like to put something not quite as expensive on it. Nikon makes a 3-9x50 I saw in a local shop for something like $229. I've heard they're good, and $300+ cheaper sure makes them attractive for a seldom used gun.

Thoughts anyone?
I have a Leupold rifleman 3-9x40 and 2 Nikon Prostsaffs 4x32 and 3-9x40! Both are excelent scopes in my book but like I said earlier I prefer the Nikon cuz of the brightness, which is why I bought a second instead of leupold. The upper end Leupolds may be just as bright, ive never had one.

Model70Man

I used to be a Leupold man until I messed up and looked thru a Zeiss Conquest. Now all of my rifles wear Conquests. Windage and elevation adjustments are precise and hold zero. No wandering zero. Optics are second to none in the same price range.

Burris Fullfield II is an awesome scope that rivals the Conquest optically. $150 for a 3-9x40 IMO is a great value.

Deer Whisperer

You�re right about the Ziess. It is a great scope.

I thought it was great when I went from a Vari X II to a Vari X III. But when I upgraded to a Meopta, the difference was unbelievable. The image is so much clearer and bright, there is no comparison. Meopta makes a lot of glass for Swarovski. To get a better image from a scope, you would have to spend $1000 more on the best Swaro, and even then, the difference is very small. Just go to an optics forum and do a search on Meopta. Also, look at the reviews on Cabela�s web site.

Leupold is the best scope made in the US, and if that�s all you ever use, you should be happy with that. But once you start using European optics, it�s hard to go back.

I�m not sure what to tell you to use on a low use rifle. It just depends on how important low light capability is to you. If low light is not important, you can put just about anything on it and be pretty happy with it.

300WSM

You get what you pay for in optics. It amkes no sense to pay $500-$700 on a gun and put a $100 scope on it. I prefer either Zeiss or Leupold. If your on a tight budget, I'd reccommend a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40. They cost about $219.

TheLBLman

300WSM said:
You get what you pay for in optics. It amkes no sense to pay $500-$700 on a gun and put a $100 scope on it. I prefer either Zeiss or Leupold. If your on a tight budget, I'd reccommend a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40. They cost about $219.
I'm doing most of my deer hunting with an older Leupold Vari-X III, which simply doesn't need replacing. I have used a variety of scopes, and currently am also using Nikon Monarch and Burris Fulfield II scopes.

IMO, for the money, the Burris Fulfield II scope is the best scope on the market. They're selling for around $200, give or take. It is almost as "bright" as the Nikon Monarch, and definately a better scope that the Nikon Omega, Prostaffs and Buckmasters. When I got the new muzzleloader this year, I considered the Nikon Omega, then found out the Burris Fulfield II had a similar muzzleloader reticle. I went with the Burris (way better than the Leupold VX-1) on my new muzzleloader. Optically, I believe the Burris Fulfield is even better than the Leupold VX-II, although it will not measure up to the III.

Bubba in Fla

The Bushnell Elite 3200 is a pretty good scope for around 200..

Amen on that, I have one on my 300WSM and it is aweaone, especially in the rain. I still love my old Tasco World Class 2.5 x 10 44mm scope that I bought for about $129 about 15 years ago. I have killed over 70 big game animals (mostly hogs and deer) with my 30.06 with that scope on it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if they still made them. I also have a Luepold on my 300 Weatherby Mag. All three of these scopes provide sufficient light gather to shoot OUTSIDE of legal shooting hours.

Model70Man

TAKE A CHANCE said:
I have the Meopta R1. It is the best looking scope for the monet IMO. I give it a WOW.I have a luppy on my muzzy and its great also.

You got the best deal on that scope. The more I think about it, the more I wish I would have not sold it. :grin: That scope is crazy bright and clear.

I have 4 Nikon Prostaffs and have had no problems. I have owned top end Leupold and Nikon scopes, but to be honest the Prostaff meets all my needs. If I shot long ranges all the time I would go with the Monarch or VX3, just my opinion.