Time to start seeds?

keystonecop

Is it to early to go ahead and start my pepper plants indoors?
With all this warm weather I am ready to plant something but don't want to start my plants to early.
There's is enjoyment to me when I start something from seed and then get to eat it.

DaveB

I think the first weekend in March should be okay.

That is when I plan on starting my tomatoes.

Shelby county may have a frost this weekend!!

WTM

started mine yesterday, 36 tomatoes of 3 varieties, 24 bell pepper, 24 pepperchini, 24 italian parsley, 24 thyme. ill start the basil in a few weeks.

catman529

Super hots take longer to germinate than regular peppers. I was a little late but I got the seeds in, trying the wet paper towel method this year. Tomatoes will go in the next few days. Need to get some eggplant going too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

Catman----I tried the wet paper towels and never had a single seed germinate. I will for sure be interested in your results.

farmin68

Mike Belt":3qxf4y09 said:
I planted in hay bales one year and never really had good results. Anyone else tried this method of gardening?

Seems like I remember Wormr having success growing tomatoes in straw bales.

Maybe he will pop in and comment...

WTM

Mike Belt":3qm512sw said:
I planted in hay bales one year and never really had good results. Anyone else tried this method of gardening?

use wheat straw not hay. you have to condition the bales like you would fresh compost, yes straw is a compost material. if you bought a new bale and planted directly in the bale then you burned the roots.

you have to completely saturate the bale, you can add some miracle grow to the water to speed up decomp. stick a compost thermometer in it and wait until the temp rises and comes back to air temp, you can use a meat thermometer if its long enough. only then can you plant in it.

catman529

DaveB":1nxn1u50 said:
Catman----I tried the wet paper towels and never had a single seed germinate. I will for sure be interested in your results.
so far I've had a few germinate, even had a couple Reapers start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

keystonecop":2an3u667 said:
Is it to early to go ahead and start my pepper plants indoors?
With all this warm weather I am ready to plant something but don't want to start my plants to early.
There's is enjoyment to me when I start something from seed and then get to eat it.
I'm a little ahead of you in South MS, but I started peppers in mid Jan. Here's my reaper plants.... will start hardening them off in a couple weeks

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20170309_172201.jpg
    20170309_172201.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 4,362