Time lapse mode

ttf909

Use to have a plotwatcher time lapse camera. lost it to a garage fire unfortunately. Have tried the browning cams on time lapse but the software or something never works correctly. Just freezes up. Anyone have a time lapse camera that works and displays the video correctly?

TheLBLman

For certain applications, mainly field monitoring and security purposes, I use time lapse (or field-scan) modes frequently.
I do not use video when doing this.
I've posted my overall most used cams are of the Browning brand (both cellular and non-cellular),
and I do sometimes use their time-lapse feature.

But for time-lapse (or field-scan) applications, my go-to cam is the Bushnell Core DS Low Glow.
This particular cam has a more powerful lens than most (think "telephoto") but it's really more like most cams have like a 28mm lens while this particular Bushnell might compare more like a 35mm lens.
Combine this slightly stronger lens with its 30mp (yes, interpolated) imager,
and you will see more detail on distant objects, such as a buck, or a trespasser, 150 yards away in a field.

For most applications, I prefer true black flash,
But for time-lapse at night, I often prefer red flash due to it's greater range.
This Bushnell is available both in Black Flash and Low Glow (red flash).
Also, the Bushnells can be used anytime, day or night, and programed for whatever times you want them to operate.
By contrast, the Brownings will not work (in time-lapse mode) at night.

TheLBLman

By the way, in fieldscan mode, the Bushnell images are far superior to the Browning's.
Both brands produce similar image quality on triggered pics (day or night).
Bushnell has significantly more programming options in fieldscan,
Browning has significantly more programming options as a regular trail cam.

Browning produced some rather proprietary software for their time-lapse feature.
It actually works ok once you learn to use it, and you can view a days pics quicker with it.
I just don't like the inability to do nighttime time-lapse with the Brownings,
plus the image quality (in timelapse) is better with the Bushnells.

Since the Bushnell has a narrower field of view (think more like a telephoto lens)
it's is typically not as good a choice when used as a regular trail cam, such as over a scrape or trail.

Last edited:

ttf909

Thanks. That is some very detailed info. I'm going to find the bushnell and may try the reconyx also. Never had reconyx . Any model that seems to work better on timelapse for reconyx?

BSK

Glad to hear the details on the Bushnell Core DS Low Glow Wes. Plan on getting a couple of these to mount high aiming down into food plots. Love my new Brownings, but the night illumination on picture mode is a bit wanting. Need a stronger flash to see further across open food plots at night. Hope mounting high will reduce deer avoidance from the visible red-glow flash.

TheLBLman

Hope mounting high will reduce deer avoidance from the visible red-glow flash.
It will, although I don't think you'll find deer avoidance with this Bushnell anything like some of the earlier red-glow models. Believe the flash duration is shorter than on prior models. Also, you're typically targeting animals at a farther distance, compared to over scrapes, and that distance greatly reduces flash avoidance.

Lastly, the less obvious you can position your cams, the less flash avoidance. Mounting them higher is just one method. As much as possible, I like to use the largest tree trunks, and color-coordinate the cam (or cam security box) with the tree bark.
It's gotten harder to find, but the camo Gorilla tape comes in a variety of patterns, and works great. Can even use it to tape leaves, small limbs & leaf clusters to your cam.

BSK

Lastly, the less obvious you can position your cams, the less flash avoidance. Mounting them higher is just one method. As much as possible, I like to use the largest tree trunks, and color-coordinate the cam (or cam security box) with the tree bark.
It's gotten harder to find, but the camo Gorilla tape comes in a variety of patterns, and works great. Can even use it to tape leaves, small limbs & leaf clusters to your cam.

Great ideas.

Now that I'm using a lot of video, I'm absolutely shocked at how often deer see the camera itself, even the very small Brownings. And it isn't flash. This is in daylight. As soon as I put a camera up in a new location, many deer see the camera and walk right up and sniff it. I had no idea deer were THAT observant of the smallest changes in their world.

TheLBLman

I'm absolutely shocked at how often deer see the camera itself, even the very small Brownings. And it isn't flash. This is in daylight. As soon as I put a camera up in a new location, many deer see the camera and walk right up and sniff it. I had no idea deer were THAT observant of the smallest changes in their world.
Yes, it's pretty amazing just how observant they can be to any changes in their surroundings.
When Browning came out a few years ago with their "Dark Ops" model, it's small size was much of what drew me to trying it. Their Dark Ops model remains my go-to cam for use over scrapes.

A dark-colored (even camo patterns) cam on a light-colored tree is often readily seen, as it a light-colored cam on a dark-barked tree. I use the Gorilla camo tape (various patterns available) to somewhat match my cam's color to the bark color. Even a couple of leaves from the tree taped to the cam can make it much less noticeable.

I know deer are somewhat color deficient, but just note how quickly we humans can see a white object against a black background, or a black object against a white background. Anything you can do to help your cam "blend" into it's background, deer (and humans) are less likely to notice it.

Heck, I often have trouble finding my cams, even knowing where to look!
But then I'm blind in one eye and can't half see out the other.

ttf909

I believe these cameras make noise . My hearing is bad but the inside dog seems to notice them at certain times when testing and sometimes think I hear them also. Possible ?

BSK

I believe these cameras make noise . My hearing is bad but the inside dog seems to notice them at certain times when testing and sometimes think I hear them also. Possible ?
Some do, and you have to be careful about that. Reading user reviews will find mentions of noise from certain brands/models.

What I look for with different camera brands is whether the deer's head snaps around as soon as video starts or the first picture is taken. If that is the case, the camera is either making noise or, at night, the deer are seeing the flash.