plotwatcher time lapse cam?

bigbonner

ttf909":emv1waxp said:
anyone have one or any experience with them? know where to buy one or what happened to the company ?

I have two that I bought several years ago . I like the camera but the pictures aren't the best , but OK. I bought mine off of Ebay.
I set them to take pictures every 5 seconds . You can set start time and end time to take pictures. When it get dark/ night then the camera is useless . Only good for daytime pic's .
The viewing program will let you scroll through and will stop on movement in the pictures , but wind blowing and leaf movement will stop the program on every picture that changes.
Battery life is good. The best thing about this camera is that it takes pictures and is not triggered by close movement and you can see deer or people that come into view a long distance out in a field.

TheLBLman

bigbonner":3atkw9xi said:
. . . . it takes pictures and is not triggered by close movement and you can see deer or people that come into view a long distance out in a field.
Most of today's mid-priced (and above) trail cams have a similar, but yet even better feature.

For this "field scan" purpose, my favorite is the Bushnell brand, simply because it's reasonably priced, and can be programmed over a full 24-hr period to take periodic pics.

The advantage of this over the Plotwatcher is you actually get both a trail cam (that will trigger normally as a trail cam) in addition to the "field scan" mode which does what the plotwatcher does. Another advantage of using regular trail cams in "field scan" mode is they can provide much higher resolution pics, which you really need, imo.

Another I've been particularly happy with for "field-scan" mode use is the Browning line.
The Brownings come with some viewing software that is similar to the "Plotwatcher" brand,
making it faster to go thru a large quantity of pics.
Browning does not allow for nighttime plot watching, although this is seldom much issue.

Browning limits the field scan mode to the first 4 hours of daylight, and the last 4 hrs of daylight,
although you can easily program them for fewer hours if preferred. That means you may not be able to use field-scan mode from approximately 10a to 2p.

Bushnells's advantages include the option for much higher resolution pics (in field scan mode) than Brownings,
as well as the opportunity to use field scan all day and all night, if desired.
Programming is simpler with the Brownings,
and overall, I prefer the Browning trail cams over the Bushnells.

Latest posts