Night video comparison between Browning camera models

AM84

Wow! The clarity of those day time videos is unbelievably good. The night video is crazy good as well. Definitely looks nicer than my defender scout pro video.

I think I might add me 2 or 3 of those to the rotation.

thanks for posting these!

Mr.Bro

Pulled the card on my new HP4 today. After a four week soak had 200, 15sec videos. I believe they were 15sec. Daytime videos were absolutely great. Early morning and evening shots just as impressive. Night videos? Well must have something wrong somewhere.Small tree 2ft in in front and on the outside edge had lots of light. But no light past that. Could see eyes of deer but thats all. Another road trip next weekend to pull it out, bring home and check out.
Did miss the ability to freeze and zoom in on a couple nice bucks.
Batteries still showed 100 percent but we all know they dont work very well.

BSK

Small tree 2ft in in front and on the outside edge had lots of light. But no light past that. Could see eyes of deer but thats all. Another road trip next weekend to pull it out, bring home and check out.
Just be cautious about assuming something is wrong with the camera. Like advanced cameras, the newer trail-cameras have the ability to monitor and adjust for the amount of illumination bouncing back to the camera. They will reduce illumination if a lot of light is coming back. This is to reduce "wash out" of a subject close to the camera. So if there is something close to the camera - deer, tree, grass, etc. - that is reflecting a lot of light, the camera will reduce how much light it is projecting with the flash. So before assuming something is wrong, test the camera where NOTHING close is reflecting light. If illumination is still poor, then there's a problem.
Batteries still showed 100 percent but we all know they dont work very well.
my older Browning are on their second year of taking hundreds of videos (some over 1,000), many at night, with the original set of batteries and they are still going strong with 96% battery power. Your battery monitor might not be wrong.

TN Whitetail Freak

Browning cams are imo the best on the market and I only have experience with the lower budget ones. The strike forces. I only have 2 one I bought in 2015 and it's still working great. The other I bought for $99. It takes average video but it works well enough to get me the information I need.

Mr.Bro

Just be cautious about assuming something is wrong with the camera. Like advanced cameras, the newer trail-cameras have the ability to monitor and adjust for the amount of illumination bouncing back to the camera. They will reduce illumination if a lot of light is coming back. This is to reduce "wash out" of a subject close to the camera. So if there is something close to the camera - deer, tree, grass, etc. - that is reflecting a lot of light, the camera will reduce how much light it is projecting with the flash. So before assuming something is wrong, test the camera where NOTHING close is reflecting light. If illumination is still poor, then there's a problem.

my older Browning are on their second year of taking hundreds of videos (some over 1,000), many at night, with the original set of batteries and they are still going strong with 96% battery power. Your battery monitor might not be wrong.

Mr.Bro

Thanks BSK. Will have to move it to an a tree with an unobstructed view.

Andy S.

Which batteries? If Lithium, does the camera have an internal setting to ensure the battery meter is showing accurate reading? Reason I ask is Lithiums die instantly (generally speaking, they drop from 1.8v to 1.5v and they are done), so I rarely trust the battery meter in my cameras other than my Reconyx cams that have an interior setting for Lithium batteries.

BSK

Which batteries? If Lithium, does the camera have an internal setting to ensure the battery meter is showing accurate reading? Reason I ask is Lithiums die instantly (generally speaking, they drop from 1.8v to 1.5v and they are done), so I rarely trust them in my cameras other than my Reconyx cams that have an interior setting for Lithium batteries.
Yes, the cameras have an internal setting for the type of batteries. I'm using (the only battery I ever use in trail-cameras) Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs. The cameras' internal settings are set for lithium.

Last edited:

Andy S.

Yes, the cameras have an internal setting for the type of batteries. I'm using (the only battery I ever use in trail-cameras) Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs. The camera's internal setting is set for lithium.
Gotcha. I will be anxious to see how accurately it tracks the voltage drop (1.8 (100%), 1.7 (75%), 1.6 (50%), 1.5 (25%), etc) with the L91 Lithiums.

Attachments

• L91_voltage.jpg
    L91_voltage.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 38

JCDEERMAN

I think all the Brownings I've bought within the last year (2020 and newer) all had the select function for the type of battery. 4 of them. One of them may be a 2019

Andy S.

I think all the Brownings I've bought within the last year (2020 and newer) all had the select function for the type of battery. 4 of them. One of them may be a 2019
Having the selection is a good thing. My real question is how accurately does it track the voltage drop in the L91 Lithiums. Generally speaking, it is hard to measure accurately, thus a 96% battery reading after a 1000 videos may be misleading if the voltage suddenly drops to 1.5 and the camera dies. My main point is for end users to be leery of battery meters with lithium batteries because they can be misleading as the batteries near the end of their useful life, basically dropping from 95% to 50% in a day to dead overnight. I've seen it too many times with several cameras. My Reconyx cams will go from 100% to 90% to 70% to 60%, and then die shortly thereafter. If I see a 60-70% reading, I know I am on borrowed time and have gambled too much IMO. My rule of thumb is to pull them around 80% and replace with new Lithium batteries. Food for thought.

BSK

Gotcha. I will be anxious to see how accurately it tracks the voltage drop (1.8 (100%), 1.7 (75%), 1.6 (50%), 1.5 (25%), etc) with the L91 Lithiums.
That's a fascinating graph Andy S. Thanks for posting. I'll keep a close eye on when the sudden downturn occurs. In your opinion, if the meter is accurate, at what point (percent charge) should I change if I don't want to come back a week later to a dead camera?

Andy S.

That's a fascinating graph Andy S. Thanks for posting. I'll keep a close eye on when the sudden downturn occurs. In your opinion, if the meter is accurate, at what point (percent charge) should I change if I don't want to come back a week later to a dead camera?
From my experience, 70-80% to be sure. I've gambled with 60% readings before to come back to a dead camera that missed days of activity.

Latest posts