Tiger Overload

iowavf

Showing up to a country club/resort every week, being waited on hand and foot constantly, calmly walking from hole to hole, demanding total silence during play...OK Sure... :D :D :D

Working behind the scenes all these years have jaded me.

One particular memory that I'll never forget.

One morning I had to go to the Club House for a security meeting. As I approached the front door, there stood a famous golfer a few feet in front of the entrance. Just standing there. I said good morning and all I got back was a snarky About dam Time!!!

I walked past him and opened the door and he brushed me out of the way and strolled right on in.

We had volunteers assigned to open the doors for the golfers and the guy had gone to take a dump.

This douche bag PRO GOLFER would not open the door and go in the Club House.

That's how spoiled these bitches are.

Do not get me started.
And there's no one like that in other sports? Every pro sports has it's @ssholes just like some actors and singers are.

Safari Hunt

According to the news, Woods is the only one playing. There is barely any mention of the guy leading at five under or any other player who is ahead of Woods. I saw Woods when he played the Honors course before turning pro. He acted like a baby, throwing clubs, kicking the grass. I told my son if he played like that, he would spend a lot of time in the club house. Later, Woods was playing a PGA event and was dropping F-bombs right and left. One doesn't have to read lips.

Safari Hunt

Golf wouldn't be anywhere near what it is now without Tiger. The hype is deserved, in my opinion.

I'll also put his last Masters victory over Jack's in 86. Sure… Jack was older, but he didn't have near the level of competition Tiger had. Yeah… Jack beat out Seve, Tom Kite, Norman, Faldo… but Tiger beat out dozens of guys capable of going low in a field twice as big. After coming back.

Mickelson's win at the PGA isn't even in my radar of greatest major wins.

He's the greatest ever in my opinion. No arguments about number of majors by Jack can change my mind. Nobody has ever played golf at the caliber he has played.
I disagree. Arnold Palmer is the one who put golf in the forefront in the 50s and 60s. I watched him on a B&W TV! Anyone remember Arnie's Army? BTW, I have a book that is titled, The Greatest Masters, which was 1986. Much more exciting.

batten_down

Should be a very entertaining and enjoyable day of golf for those of us who enjoy watching these athletes compete at the biggest event of the year. The course will be drying out and will play increasingly more difficult with each passing day. It's not an easy path to victory; whoever slips on that iconic Green Jacket Sunday afternoon will have earned it.

BuckWild

And there's no one like that in other sports? Every pro sports has it's @ssholes just like some actors and singers are.
Not that I'm personally aware of. But I doubt when a pro football or basketball team show up at the field they have people standing around being paid to open the doors for them all weekend.

Then have 85,000 fans screaming while the kicker attempts a 40 yard FG to win the game.

Meanwhile a golfer who is in the middle of the pack on Sunday, 10 strokes back, makes a scene to the gallery marshall about quieting the crowd while he attempts a two foot putt for par...LoL

I've seen it all. The good and the bad.

Last edited:

PalsPal

It's as much of a sports as basketball, baseball, football, or tennis when you think about it.

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as baseball and soccer"

So, are cornhole and horse shoe pitching sports :D ?

PalsPal

The last sentence is the one I copied and pasted for the definition of sports.

Just messing with you.

There are several things that take great skill and there are just a very few people who have the talent and drive attain elite status.

Some like to claim that something isn't a sport, but what difference does it make, and who gets to define what a sport actually is?

Hammer

Wife and her friends just dropped me off at the hotel and I'm waiting on the second crew to arrive for the weekend shift.

Today was super windy it just would not quit.
Did not seem as crowded today, Tomorrow is going to be cold!

TNReb

I disagree. Arnold Palmer is the one who put golf in the forefront in the 50s and 60s. I watched him on a B&W TV! Anyone remember Arnie's Army? BTW, I have a book that is titled, The Greatest Masters, which was 1986. Much more exciting.
Comparing what Arnie did for the game to what Tiger did for the game isn't even a conversation worth having. How much bigger did the prize money become when Arnie became popular? How many high schools (and jr high schools) suddenly developed golf programs? Heck, how many colleges had golf programs? How many manufacturers suddenly started making golf clubs? How did the design of golf courses for major tournaments drastically change?

Arnie might have kept golf alive and made it cool for a lot of people. He certainly influenced a lot of people. He didn't cause a boom in golf anywhere near what Tiger did. That's something that can be statistically measured and proven.

Tiger has had a bigger influence on the game than anyone has ever had. He's probably had a bigger influence on a single sport than any athlete in history. Purses, equipment, design of courses, fitness, media coverage, and an explosion of new golfers are all due to him.

iowavf

Comparing what Arnie did for the game to what Tiger did for the game isn't even a conversation worth having. How much bigger did the prize money become when Arnie became popular? How many high schools (and jr high schools) suddenly developed golf programs? Heck, how many colleges had golf programs? How many manufacturers suddenly started making golf clubs? How did the design of golf courses for major tournaments drastically change?

Arnie might have kept golf alive and made it cool for a lot of people. He certainly influenced a lot of people. He didn't cause a boom in golf anywhere near what Tiger did. That's something that can be statistically measured and proven.

Tiger has had a bigger influence on the game than anyone has ever had. He's probably had a bigger influence on a single sport than any athlete in history. Purses, equipment, design of courses, fitness, media coverage, and an explosion of new golfers are all due to him.
I agree 100%. No disrespect for others before Tiger, because they're the legends. I respect them all and hard to say who's the greatest, so far, but Tiger changed the game of golf more than anyone else who has played to date, period!!!!!

Hammer

Today was flat out cold, wore what I had and froze.
We were in 6 when Tiger dropped his britches to fix a leg brace. He's hurting I bet he pulls out.
Sitting on 7 tomorrow

Hammer

Here we are getting a pic done

Attachments

• 6921C8B6-FA27-4027-8E7E-16AA2382A60A.jpeg
    6921C8B6-FA27-4027-8E7E-16AA2382A60A.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 42

BMan

Have enjoyed watching tiger over the years and still do

Meanwhile, check out this shot

I actually did that on the 9th hole at Forrest Crossing in Franklin once - wasn't intentional, though. I've also hit a house on the 2nd hole there once, so... :D

Just looked at the map, it appears they've renamed that course Franklin Bridge Golf Club.

Displaced_Vol

Course looked great today. I am glad Scheffler won cause I got him at +900 & he's deserved it but I also kinda wanted Rory to win, he had a hell of a day.
First day I got to watch any I've been busy getting my tail whipped by a turkey at Chuck Swan.

Safari Hunt

It was humorous when he shot one under the first day. No mention of those who were ahead of him. I saw his final score. He plays like me now.

Latest posts