Tiger Overload

WilcoKen

As an avid golfer, I can appreciate what Tiger Woods has done throughout his career. His last major win was impressive. Almost as impressive as Nicklaus' win 1986, and Mickelson's at the PGA last year.

Masters week has always been my equivalent of the Superbowl. But I wish the hype of Tiger playing in this year's Masters would tone down a little. It's too much. The "tradition like no other" is being overshadowed. If Tiger pulls out the win come Sunday then let the celebration/hype begin on Sunday.

TNReb

Golf wouldn't be anywhere near what it is now without Tiger. The hype is deserved, in my opinion.

I'll also put his last Masters victory over Jack's in 86. Sure… Jack was older, but he didn't have near the level of competition Tiger had. Yeah… Jack beat out Seve, Tom Kite, Norman, Faldo… but Tiger beat out dozens of guys capable of going low in a field twice as big. After coming back.

Mickelson's win at the PGA isn't even in my radar of greatest major wins.

He's the greatest ever in my opinion. No arguments about number of majors by Jack can change my mind. Nobody has ever played golf at the caliber he has played.

Pilchard

Golf wouldn't be anywhere near what it is now without Tiger. The hype is deserved, in my opinion.

I'll also put his last Masters victory over Jack's in 86. Sure… Jack was older, but he didn't have near the level of competition Tiger had. Yeah… Jack beat out Seve, Tom Kite, Norman, Faldo… but Tiger beat out dozens of guys capable of going low in a field twice as big. After coming back.

Mickelson's win at the PGA isn't even in my radar of greatest major wins.

He's the greatest ever in my opinion. No arguments about number of majors by Jack can change my mind. Nobody has ever played golf at the caliber he has played.
I was not alive to watch Nicklaus in his prime. The stat that makes me think twice about giving Tiger the nod for greatest ever is Jack finishing 2nd or 3rd, 27 times in majors in addition to his 18 wins.

It's no argument, both are the greatest of their time.

I'm betting(or at least hoping) Tiger is in the mix on Sunday.

WilcoKen

The stat that makes me think twice about giving Tiger the nod for greatest ever is Jack finishing 2nd or 3rd, 27 times in majors in addition to his 18 wins.
To go along with this, Nicklaus used persimmon woods (half the size of modern titanium/composite drivers) and balata golf balls. I wonder how many more could he have won using modern technology.

Spurhunter

I agree the 24/7 Tiger watch is ridiculous, but I sure hope he plays and is competitive. I used to despise Tiger. He was an arrogant prick and not fan friendly at all. But after his divorce and all that trouble he came back more humble and fan friendly. I like him now. But like him or hate him, he's the best ever and any tournament with him is just more exciting. He is one of the few that is cut from a different cloth. Most of these young flat bellies of today's golf are just boring. They all dress the same, look the same, swing the same, and have no flair or excitement about them. I miss the days of golf when you had characters like Trevino, Chi Chi, Payne Stewart, Greg Norman, Seve, Player, Couples, Daly, Floyd, Montgomerie, Fuzzy, etc. They all had their own style and flair. Their own swings and personalities. As far as this year's Masters, with Tiger or without him, I'll be watching as it truly is a tradition like no other.

Pilchard

None. Everyone had the same equipment then just like they do now.
I actually think about how today's best ball strikers would have been more successful back then. Many guys today get away with shots each round that would have spelled disaster in Jack's day. The low heely cut with today's driver that goes 275 yds and ends up in the middle of the fairway is a 125yd low pull with a persimmon driver.

The likes of Rahm and Garcia would have had a real advantage with less forgiving equipment.

Spurhunter

I actually think about how today's best ball strikers would have been more successful back then. Many guys today get away with shots each round that would have spelled disaster in Jack's day. The low heely cut with today's driver that goes 275 yds and ends up in the middle of the fairway is a 125yd low pull with a persimmon driver.
That's a good point worth considering.

Hammer

In his day on the back nine on a Sunday if Tiger was in contention his appointment would be intimidated by Tigers play.

I'm no Tiger fan boy, he was an a$$ in his early years. But he could deliver, and seems to have mellowed out a bit.

BMan

Of all the possible criteria for ranking athletes that may be the strangest I've ever heard.

Show me another sport where silence is required (well maybe bowling). If a baseball player can hit a slider while the stands are screaming, and basketball players can sink a free throw when hundreds of people are screaming and waving stuff in his field of view - why can't golfers tee up and hit a stationary ball?

My .02. Not trying to convert anyone.

archer19

If he makes it thru a couple rounds making the cut or not will get him my respect.
Great golfer, lucky to be playing period now!
I wish him well,
He's human .

Latest posts