Thoughts on what this could be?

jc0313

My buddy and I have continued to dig deeper and this shelter has really produced. Here are some of the best pieces we have found. The small pointed items I believe to be broken antler tips, I assume happened during napping.
Awesome finds, y'all are definitely into a productive Paleo site.

TNJones4530

2-Step Enabled
I have just recently start digging for artifacts( on private property). I found this approximately 20" deep along with a few broken points. It appears to be maybe made out of clay pottery material, looks like a round ball was sat it down to harder and it created a small flat spot on the bottom. That's my guess not sure or what it was used for. May not be anything. Lol Thoughts?
Definitely a meatball from the early 2000s 🤣

trains

Things have slowed down. Here is what I found today. Not sure again about the round rock(maybe just a round rock), what was interesting are the pieces next to the sharpened bone, that is a turtle shell that was 3' down.

Attachments

• IMG_5754.jpeg
    IMG_5754.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5754.jpeg
    IMG_5754.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 100

trains

Things have slowed down. Here is what I found today. Not sure again about the round rock(maybe just a round rock), what was interesting are the pieces next to the sharpened bone, that is a turtle shell that was 3' down.
Can anyone confirm if the 2 points on the left are big Sandy?

Attachments

• IMG_5757.jpeg
    IMG_5757.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 76

CATCHDAWG

If it were me and I didn't find another single piece out of that dig, I'd be extremely happy! You hit the mother load and have found some really nice pieces! It's dang near impossible to find a shelter that hasn't been dug several times over nowadays!

cbhunter

If it were me and I didn't find another single piece out of that dig, I'd be extremely happy! You hit the mother load and have found some really nice pieces! It's dang near impossible to find a shelter that hasn't been dug several times over nowadays!
Man what you said! Most hunters will hunt their whole life and not find a fluted piece like he did

And broken or not, that piece is worth several thousand I suspect

trains

Yes these 2 points were a few inches below the Cumberland. What i would like to determine if they are in the same approximate timeframe or if the Cumberland may have been found or traded for by another group that was many years later. I am curious if this shelter was really used during the Paleo time period. Just curious, trying to put the puzzle pieces together.

KTS

I have been trying to find out the type and period of the two points you asked about. I have been going through the latest Overstreet Indian Arrowhead Guide but not having much luck.
There are a few points that they could be but I am not sure.
They could possibly be kirk corner notch which are early to mid Archaic, they also resemble the palmer point which is early Archaic. It is also possible they could be a type of Woodland point.
It seems the site has been used by many cultural periods.
I am not by any means the most knowledgeable person on identifying points but I sure have done a lot of digging.

Latest posts