Third Broken Beam Buck of the Season

Ski

New victim of a broken beam. That's 3 good size bucks on the same property this year that have their entire beams broken off. I've still not seen on cam or in person anything that could be doing it. The biggest one this year is one the broken ones. Now this guy too. Going back up in a few days so I'll hunt a lil more and see what I find.

Here's the recent victim. Hopefully the broken beam didn't damage the pedicle. He's one of my better up & comers.

7220.jpeg

Here he is before being broken. Not near as big or old as the other two but still another buck broken completely off.

1700148545476.jpeg

1700148318390.png

lafn96

Hope you get the culprit! Off-topic - I see you're using 3 different brands of camera's in those pics; which camera with data plan do you like best? Just got 2 brownings and don't like their app near as much as my tactacam.

Ski

Hope you get the culprit! Off-topic - I see you're using 3 different brands of camera's in those pics; which camera with data plan do you like best? Just got 2 brownings and don't like their app near as much as my tactacam.

The Tactacam is the only one that's cellular. I recently got a Browning cell but haven't used it yet so no idea what to expect from it. I'm still a little old school in that I enjoy going out to check cards. The cell cams I have were both gifts or else I wouldn't have one at all. But I do have to say I enjoy the convenience of sitting here in TN getting pics of deer in OH. I see why folks like them.

BSK

The Tactacam is the only one that's cellular. I recently got a Browning cell but haven't used it yet so no idea what to expect from it. I'm still a little old school in that I enjoy going out to check cards. The cell cams I have were both gifts or else I wouldn't have one at all. But I do have to say I enjoy the convenience of sitting here in TN getting pics of deer in OH. I see why folks like them.
If I were strictly using cameras as a scouting tool, I would definitely use more cell cams.

But for my current purposes, SD Card cams only.

Ski

If I were strictly using cameras as a scouting tool, I would definitely use more cell cams.

But for my current purposes, SD Card cams only.

I use mine for scouting about as much as I do anything I guess. About half of my cams monitor habitat enhancements that I've made so I can see the effect. The other half monitor funnels, fence or creek crossings, trail intersections, etc. I've never felt that I needed a cell cam but I do see their convenience.

Ski

Hope you catch up to the bully buck. At this point he may be busted up himself too though.

The only one around I know of that could be doing it is this 8pt. His beams nearly touch so it's possible he could really lock another antler up and torque on it. Seems a stretch I know but I'm out of ideas. I'd think his antlers would show some wear after breaking three other bucks' beams off. If there is a godzilla buck then he's not on any of my cams. That would mean these bucks are getting broken somewhere else and the buck doing it doesn't visit my place. Entirely possible but frustrating.

1700157594889.png

Ski

Weird year for me so far... only one buck broken off, and he's just a little 1.5yo 8. Normally I've seen 3 or 4 broken by now

I see broken tips and sometimes a broken tine, but not often an entire beam broken off. I'm not used to bucks fighting much on the property. It's traditionally been a bachelor pad. But the last couple years has been a big increase in does. This year there are more does than I've ever seen there before. Not certain that is the cause of the fighting. It's just a thought since the fighting seems to coincide with the influx of females.

rem270

The double beam deer I had on camera broke his double beam side off. My neighbor sent me a pic last week of a one sided deer and after studying it I determined it was that deer. That made me happy tho. I kept saying he needed another year and hopefully he'll make it through.

JCDEERMAN

Been there. 2021 was brutal for them. I know the feeling of having so many shooter bucks become half racks - it sucks! And unfortunately, the pedicle damage from a year like that lasts until they die.

Ski

I luckily haven't had any broken beam bucks this year but one of our best up and comers showed up with a either a tine or the end of a beam broken off in his head. If you zoom in you can see it sticking out above his eye, looks like it went between his skull and hide.

Dang! They really inflict damage to one another. A buck I killed last year had another buck's antler tip broke off in his skull. No telling how long it had been there.

CrossVolle

The only one around I know of that could be doing it is this 8pt. His beams nearly touch so it's possible he could really lock another antler up and torque on it. Seems a stretch I know but I'm out of ideas. I'd think his antlers would show some wear after breaking three other bucks' beams off. If there is a godzilla buck then he's not on any of my cams. That would mean these bucks are getting broken somewhere else and the buck doing it doesn't visit my place. Entirely possible but frustrating.

View attachment 203545
Get up there and slay that beast