The Epitome of a Fully Mature Buck

TheLBLman

The 2023 TN Deer Season prospects have been a bit disappointing for me.

Normally, I have a couple fully mature bucks on my "target" list.
This year, I've had none I desired to "target", much less take.
May have to start that list with this one.

Perhaps should lower my standards,
but I find more satisfaction in giving young bucks a pass than in killing them,
especially if those young bucks have above average antlers for their ages.

Clearly, this buck had rather average antlers as a youngster,
most likely the only reason he's still alive.

I believe he's at least 6 1/2 yrs old, and for no other reason than his maturity,
a true "trophy" buck to me. Yet still not sure I want to use one of my 2 TN tags on him,
while knowing I will be taking a couple fat doe in December as better table fare.

I assume this buck is a "roamer" since I've not seen him before.
Probably will never see him again.
Hope someone gets him, as this is likely his last year as a magnificent specimen.
Hope it's someone who's never before gotten one this nice.

That said, I truly enjoy the pursuit, and just never knowing what might show up.
Have had some very enjoyable hunting days so far this season,
and looking forward to more.

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

2023 11-22 FullyMature6.5cu.JPG

megalomaniac

I'm getting almost the same way... if it isn't 140 and mature, I don't get excited any more. But I LOVE to hunt and kill the old culls. The 4.5yos less than 120 that nobody wants to kill. Unfortunately, this year all our 4.5+ bucks are 120 to 130in. No culls. So I prob won't kill a buck in TN this year unless something new moves in or I find a buck I don't have on cam.

TheLBLman

I'm getting almost the same way... if it isn't 140 and mature, I don't get excited any more.
Fully mature bucks always excite me.
I just don't necessarily feel compelled to "harvest" them.
But do generally want one over 140 and kinda "unique", like with some sticker points, etc.
This one looks too similar to some others on the wall.

So I prob won't kill a buck in TN this year unless something new moves in or I find a buck I don't have on cam.
Same here, and that's where I've been until this one showed up.
Believe I would be happy to use a TN buck tag on him.
But it will be because of his age, not his antlers.

backyardtndeer

Yep, I try to target the oldest bucks I know are around. Sometimes like this year I get lucky and get them. Your pictured buck is definitely a good mature deer, a "trophy buck" imo too for no other reason than that deer getting to that age especially around here is pretty rare.

yellalinehunter

That deer past mature 3 years ago. He's a geriatric. Would love to get a chance at a deer like that. The euro mount would tell the story. An old deer has an entirely different bone profile as that of a younger deer

yellalinehunter

I wasn't taking about the pic. I was saying a euro mount on the wall of a three year old and an old buck side by side you can tell a difference.

redblood

im in saem boat. nothing of interest since August. I killed a buck i thought was old my old scrub, but turned out to be a different old scrub. I will definitely shoot him if i get the chance as i want to send both of theiir teeth off to age. the one still breathing i feel is 6.5, the one i shot id wager is 4.5.

Latest posts