The Temperature Plateau

Trapper John

Sounds like some kind of horror flick.

My pork butt has hit the plateau. It has been sitting at a constant temp for a few hours, mocking me, as all the rendering takes place to make it nice and tender.

The wait is killing me but I dare not rush it. I made that mistake once.

Neighbors are trying to climb over our fence as we speak.

mike243

all 9 of the boston butts i put on last nite turned out great when i took them off at 12;30 today,the 40lbs of spare ribs turned out well also,we fed about 100 people or so at a buddys wedding,mike243

Wildcat

You think the plateau on pork butts are bad at getting there, try a brisket. Those things HAVE to get over the plateau before they can ever be eatable. That's why I always allow an extra 4 hours before servcing time.

The problem with briskets is you cook it slowly to a well done temp of 160 BUT you have to keep it going to a temp of 190 before pulling it. By going over that temp and bringing the temp back down while resting the meat is what makes the meat tender. The catch here is it also dries out the meat big time if done wrong, that's 10-16 hours of work down the drain with no chance of winning the contest.

I never worry about my pork butts but in every single contest I worry all weekend about the brisket.

mike243

wildcat i used a hobart chopper that has a big stainless bowl that rotates the meat thru the blades for the first time,dang it whacked it up quick,mike243

Trapper John

It came out great. Friends and neighbors very happy.

I did a brisket once. It came out alright but not as good as I wanted. I took it personally. Now I've got to get it perfect next time.

green doe

The first thing we tried was a brisket. My husband refuses to read directions and started doing it, so rather than get in a huge fight, I let him do it all. The best tasting shoe leather I ever spit out.

Wildcat

green doe said:
The first thing we tried was a brisket. My husband refuses to read directions and started doing it, so rather than get in a huge fight, I let him do it all. The best tasting shoe leather I ever spit out.

Brisket is the hardest thing someone can BBQ. Once you can master that you can do anything in the contests.

Brisket is the toughest piece of meat there is and someone who can turn it out moist and tender where it mealts in your mouth is a Pit Master.

The biggest mistake people make is they think beef and that makes them think steak. Steak is the BEST piece of meat and just needs a grilling, hot and fast. Brisket on the other hand needs low and slow smoking. Most take anywhere from 10 to 18 hours. I know a champion who "ages" his briskets for 3 weeks before he ever opens them up to start getting them ready for the smoker.

green doe

We smoked it for 10 hours. I'm guessing we just brought it up to 160 but didn't go up to 190 like you said.

mike243

i normally go 12 hrs on a 12-14lbs brisket,i think alot depends on the type of smoker you have & how even you can keep the temps,mike243

Latest posts