Bottom of the barrel eats?

Boll Weevil

Heart, kidney, liver, snoots, chitlins, ears, oxtail, gizzards, chicken feet, turkey necks, souse, skwerl brains, mountain oysters, tongue…I could go on but you get the picture. I do, but who else still enjoys any of these every so often? Which ones and how do you prepare'em?

Omega

Heart, kidney, liver, snoots, chitlins, ears, oxtail, gizzards, chicken feet, turkey necks, souse, skwerl brains, mountain oysters, tongue…I could go on but you get the picture. I do, but who else still enjoys any of these every so often? Which ones and how do you prepare'em?
Tried these: Heart, Liver, Oxtail, Gizzards, Turkey Neck, Tongue. Heart and chicken gizzards are the only thing I will eat with any regularity, the others are ok, and I would eat them again if offered, but wouldn't see them out.

chris1976

I eat a pack of souse about every week. Love a big hairy pig ear with some Louisiana hot sauce. Ain't a thing wrong with liver any which way. Smoked turkey necks in my collards are a must. Fried gas station gizzards are a delicacy. Reminds me how much I miss my less than fortunate childhood.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Beef & deer Heart sauteed or grilled, Beef liver flour breading and slow fried in bacon grease iron skillet and any fowl Liver wrapped in bacon and deep fried, any fowl Gizzards, turkey necks slow sauteed or smoked, hot souse home made no gelatin, beef tongue skinned of course then sliced thin and butter fried in a hot skillet to medium rare or insta pot it and slice thin for a philly style sandwich.

DoubleRidge

Chicken livers fried well done are just ok.
Buddy of mine told me I had to save the liver from the turkey I killed last spring and fry it.....so I did and it was good...if you like liver.

Nothing else on the list sounds good in anyvway to me? Just to many other delicious foods available....not saying that I'd never...but currently there are just bettter options.

Last edited:

gtk

Staff member
Love turkey necks. Always have them Thanksgiving ad Christmas mornings.

I also love Souse, especially Hot Souse. I eat a souse sandwich with tomato and onion on top , but lately its started giving me indigestion terribly.

I love Chicken livers/gizzards too. Can still get those at a local gas station at lunch sometimes.

Antler Daddy

I have never understood why people want to eat any of these specialties regularly. I have tried most.

• Deer heart is not bad, but never ate the beef hearts.
  • I see no reason to even try a kidney.
  • I always hated beef liver or any liver. It is nasty.
  • I have had some chitlins.
  • I have never purposefully eaten an ear. I think my dog chews on them.
  • Gizzards...why?
  • Chicken feet...never had one, but would pick at it I guess.
  • Turkey necks...lot of work for little reward.
  • Souse...I know I have had it, but dont seek it.
  • Not eating any brains from anything.
  • Mountain oysters...being a good father, I spent way to much money on some for my family at a nice restaurant. Nobody liked the flavor, but I ate two just to get my money's worth.
  • Tounge...I have tounge wrestled many female human tounges but never ate any on purpose.
  • Not mentioned was sweet breads, we used to eat those but I would not seek one out or pay money for it.

Latest posts