The Ranch Fairy

medwc":1fdwcoin said:
I have and will continue to shoot 400 to 420-ish Grain arrows. While what the Fairy is preaching may be accurate for elephants and big hogs, it is overkill for whitetail deer in the southeast. You can hunt elepants with a least a .375 H&H Mag(legally) but I would not recommend that for whitetail. Most reasonable hunters hunt whitetails with a 270, 30-06,50cal MZ and etc. IMO his bashing of regular weighted arrow guys is childish and he is pushing an agenda. He says he has nothing in it but to help fellow hunters out but someone is making $$$ from it. If you want to blow thru both shoulder plates on a big hog then join his "fairy" wagon. It ain't for me though. JMO
:smash:

WOW!!!
Someone who actually has GOOD common sense!!!

PickettSFHunter":1cs6ac70 said:
This is what I wound up with. Ended up around 560 now with some extra wrap. Yes I realize that your supposed to fletch over the wraps but I hate refletching. In retrospect, I could have gone without the extra 20 gr insert weights. Gold Tip 300 spine @28" draw, 27" arrow. 100 gr brass insert plus 20 gr extra brass screw in insert. 100 gr Magnus Stinger Buzzcut will likely be my choice though I do have a pile of grizztricks. There are many other ways to get here, like 200 gr broadheads but I wanted to stick with standard stuff. It's amazing how well these fly, no flip no flap, no wobble when they hit the target. 500 pound bear and 300 pound hogs are not out of the question here. I'll try to find some hogs this week.

Magnus makes a great product. I've killed literally over 100 deer with them. And a few hogs.

I've used the Stinger and Buzzcut and now Black Hornets. All 4 blade, all 100 grain.

Here is what I've learned.
1-The Stinger 4 blade is LETHAL. But even on perfect hits the blood trails tend to be somewhat lacking. It's really not a problem when you see/hear them fall but it's nice after sun down.I still rate them very high.

2-The buzzcut works as well as the Stinger with one added problem. The main blades are serrated. This weakens them. They tend to break after hitting bone. Sometimes even ribs on larger deer. And the fractured and now "barbed" head tends to hang on the animal as it runs off. Clanging arrows hitting brush as fleeing animals pass by causes LONGER blood trails from spooked deer. Coupled with sparse bloodtrails...you get the picture.

3-Black Hornets-100 grain-4 blade-serrazor-WINNER!!!
This is one tough head. Great blood trails. Big wound channels. Tough heads!!!
I've documented THIRTY whitetail bowkills in the past two seasons with these!
VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

The one possible negative with Black Hornets?
They tend to get a little innaccurate out of bows in the 290fps range! Probably fletching issues.

Also, all these heads perform much better with some helical in the Blazers. I have a 2 degree offset. They really like tail stability!

PickettSFHunter

I got to use one on a big doe yesterday evening. 560 gr TAW with a 125 gr Magnus Stinger Buzzcut. I took them from factory sharp and sharpened further With a guide using 1000 grit sandpaper and a final polish with polishing compound. I always had issues with penetration in the past with 60 pound draw weight and 28" draw. A lot of that was with mechanicals but also with light arrows and fixed blades. This arrow set up zipped through this doe, Entrance right on the crease of the shoulder, down through the heart, exiting in the armpit and then breaking the leg on the other side. One of those close range steep angle shots. Found the arrow stuck in the dirt. The doe hopped about 30 yards, stood there a second, and fell over. The tip of the stinger did bend, so no resharpening that blade unfortunately. Still looking for a bear to put an arrow in.

"The doe hopped about 30 yards, stood there a second, and fell over. The tip of the stinger did bend, so no resharpening that blade unfortunately. Still looking for a bear to put an arrow in."

PickettSFHunter

Just send it back to Magnus for a free replacement.

Had exactly the same results with a 110 pound DRESSED doe but my shot was 25 yards and the arrow broke clean through the humerus on the opposite leg at pass through.
And my bow is 60 pounds and 378 grain arrow tipped with Black hornet (included in finished weight!

Latest posts