The next TN football head coach

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I was talking to a friend this morning, diehard bleed orange TN fan.
He said he wishes they would fire Pruitt and go after Hugh Freeze.
He said he saw somewhere that Freeze would "one billion percent take that job" and it was "his dream job"

Just wondering what everyone would think of that happening?

cbhunter

I can say one thing for sure. I'm completely on the fire Pruitt train. And it has nothing to do with today's game. Yes I would take freeze over our current coach. But I'm not a die hard freeze fan that thinks it's freeze or bust

Displaced_Vol

I can say one thing for sure. I'm completely on the fire Pruitt train. And it has nothing to do with today's game. Yes I would take freeze over our current coach. But I'm not a die hard freeze fan that thinks it's freeze or bust
I remember You were ready to totally pull the plug on JG earlier than I was, and you may be right here also. Talking about last season.
I don't know, but I'm not ready to move on just yet because I do think this season has a lot of unnecessary crap.
Not in love with Hugh freeze, not totally against him either. he may be the savior but I'm not convinced. One issue is the candidates out there this year are going to be awful slim. I can't believe SC & Auburn did what they did this year just from a financial standpoint.

cbhunter

I remember You were ready to totally pull the plug on JG earlier than I was, and you may be right here also. Talking about last season.
I don't know, but I'm not ready to move on just yet because I do think this season has a lot of unnecessary crap.
Not in love with Hugh freeze, not totally against him either. he may be the savior but I'm not convinced. One issue is the candidates out there this year are going to be awful slim. I can't believe SC & Auburn did what they did this year just from a financial standpoint.
All valid points. I hate two huuuge issues with this staff.
1) discipline- constant idiot like penalties. Are there consequences for this? Seems to be the same guys over and over all season long.
2) lack of development- no one seems to be improving AT ALL. Zilch, nada. Henry T might be debatable other than that it's terrible
Heck I'm on a roll
3) strength and conditioning- I miss coach Fitz
4) handling of qb's- better to beat on a dead horse than to beat off a dead horse right?? Give it to someone and let them build a rhythm and confidence. Benching Bailey two weeks in a row over a bad call is ridiculous. Arm going forward both times IMO. Now with that being said I still think both times was still a mistake on his part. He has to feel the pressure and protect the ball.
Shrout has showed some good things (and bad) as well. Just get behind someone and let em learn.

I could go on but this staff drives me nuts :cool:

cbhunter

How could I forget

5) tackling- Pruitt is no "defensive guru"
When he is on a team loaded with talent, they manage to make him look good. We have the poorest tackling technique I have ever seen. Defense is also pretty slow overall.

ok I'm done, it is what it is

Displaced_Vol

All valid points. I hate two huuuge issues with this staff.
1) discipline- constant idiot like penalties. Are there consequences for this? Seems to be the same guys over and over all season long.
2) lack of development- no one seems to be improving AT ALL. Zilch, nada. Henry T might be debatable other than that it's terrible
Heck I'm on a roll
3) strength and conditioning- I miss coach Fitz
4) handling of qb's- better to beat on a dead horse than to beat off a dead horse right?? Give it to someone and let them build a rhythm and confidence. Benching Bailey two weeks in a row over a bad call is ridiculous. Arm going forward both times IMO. Now with that being said I still think both times was still a mistake on his part. He has to feel the pressure and protect the ball.
Shrout has showed some good things (and bad) as well. Just get behind someone and let em learn.

I could go on but this staff drives me nuts :cool:
Well, hell CB when you put it that way...

I will give him a bit of a pass on the development due to so many kids being out for contact tracing, especially early in the year. Not every school had the same protocols either so we sho ourselves in the foot unnecessarily (I think I'm correct on that).

I can't really argue any other point at all.
Edited to add to your list. The juggling on the offensive line has bothered me all year. I think part of it is the reasoning I gave for the development issues, but even when a group gets into a good rhythm during a game it seems we just shuffle em up. We keep tinkering and at a certain point pick your ponies and go. That unit was supposed to be a strength and, while not awful like our secondary, they've certainly been nothing to write home about.

wayne

Mizzou and Ole Miss are better teams with new coaches that had to implement new systems and had no spring practice. Pruitt is in year 3 and Tennessee is behind both programs. Look at the Mizzou team Tennessee beat in week 2 and look at them now. Pruitt is 0-12 against the 3 teams that UT coaches are judged againt. He's not beating those teams next year. His buyout goes down $2.5m next year. It's $12.5m right now. If he coaches next year, he gets his $4m salary and then $10m buyout. So $12.5m now or $14m next year. Fire him and hire Napier, Freeze, Gus or Herman.

Displaced_Vol

Mizzou and Ole Miss are better teams with new coaches that had to implement new systems and had no spring practice. Pruitt is in year 3 and Tennessee is behind both programs. Look at the Mizzou team Tennessee beat in week 2 and look at them now. Pruitt is 0-12 against the 3 teams that UT coaches are judged againt. He's not beating those teams next year. His buyout goes down $2.5m next year. It's $12.5m right now. If he coaches next year, he gets his $4m salary and then $10m buyout. So $12.5m now or $14m next year. Fire him and hire Napier, Freeze, Gus or Herman.
You're not wrong but it's not apples & apples either. The expectations at Mizzou are nil & ole miss ain't much better. It's not just the spring practice. It's a two months with 20-40 players out for contact tracing this fall. Also, 14 million in a year with normal revenues may be an easier pill to swallow than 12.5 in a year where revenues are slashed.
I honestly don't know the answer. Y'all may very well be right and it's time to cut the cord but I don't think it's that straight forward, personally.

cbhunter

You're not wrong but it's not apples & apples either. The expectations at Mizzou are nil & ole miss ain't much better. It's not just the spring practice. It's a two months with 20-40 players out for contact tracing this fall. Also, 14 million in a year with normal revenues may be an easier pill to swallow than 12.5 in a year where revenues are slashed.
I honestly don't know the answer. Y'all may very well be right and it's time to cut the cord but I don't think it's that straight forward, personally.
It won't happen this year. Bad as I hate to say it, if I was Bailey I would be in the portal. JG just hit it

Displaced_Vol

It won't happen this year. Bad as I hate to say it, if I was Bailey I would be in the portal. JG just hit it
I'd love to see an actual battle for the starting job in the off-season. Him, Salter & Shrout might make each other better and the best man gets the nod. It'll be an interesting off season that's for sure.

cbhunter

I'd love to see an actual battle for the starting job in the off-season. Him, Salter & Shrout might make each other better and the best man gets the nod. It'll be an interesting off season that's for sure.
I hop that's the case. I like what salter brings to the table. We could use a true dual threat. But yes, may the best man win!!

Mescalero

Just can't make this stuff up. Isn't it ironic three years later. The other guy is resurrecting a program. The guy the fans now want is notorious, and the program might be in trouble regardless. I've always thought clamoring for firing a coach is a "be careful what you wish for". Volume fans hated Butch and made fun of him, but he won 9 games a year until the end. I know it's the NFL, but the Steelers were the laughingstock of the league from their inception. But the Rooney family realized firing the coach isn't always the answer. Sometimes it is, but the Steelers have had three head coaches since 1969 and haven't fired any of them. They've had some lean years, but usually win enough to have six Super Bowl championships. There used to be the term "Clemsoning" and maybe it's Newspring Church, PEDs, or just hiring Venables and Elliott, but there was a time when Clemson fans wanted Swinney fired.

I don't know. I do think you have to be careful what you wish for.

wayne

Just can't make this stuff up. Isn't it ironic three years later. The other guy is resurrecting a program. The guy the fans now want is notorious, and the program might be in trouble regardless. I've always thought clamoring for firing a coach is a "be careful what you wish for". Volume fans hated Butch and made fun of him, but he won 9 games a year until the end. I know it's the NFL, but the Steelers were the laughingstock of the league from their inception. But the Rooney family realized firing the coach isn't always the answer. Sometimes it is, but the Steelers have had three head coaches since 1969 and haven't fired any of them. They've had some lean years, but usually win enough to have six Super Bowl championships. There used to be the term "Clemsoning" and maybe it's Newspring Church, PEDs, or just hiring Venables and Elliott, but there was a time when Clemson fans wanted Swinney fired.

I don't know. I do think you have to be careful what you wish for.
Do what? Butch win 9 games twice. He averaged 6.8 wins over 5 years. Excluding the 9 win seasons, he averaged 5.3 wins. And his SEC record was 14-24

wayne

And people wondered why Pruitt kept putting JG out there.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-12-19-18-10-37.png
    Capture+_2020-12-19-18-10-37.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 113

Mescalero

Do what? Butch win 9 games twice. He averaged 6.8 wins over 5 years. Excluding the 9 win seasons, he averaged 5.3 wins.
Hey man, I'm not defending Butch Jones. But you can't eliminate the nine win seasons and say he only averaged 5 wins. Eliminate Saban's titles and he didn't win any. That's nonsense. You Vol fans are so anxious to fire the football coach. Do you all drive around with the "1998 National Champion" license plates? I'm watching ND get blown out, but 10-0 soon to be 10-1. A few years ago Kelly went 4-8. Vol fans would have wanted him fired then. If these were the Vols at 10-0 getting blown out by Bama (after beating them earlier in the season), you'd all be calling for the coach's
head and then jump in your trucks with the "1998 National Champions" license plates.

Latest posts