The New Age if hunting, we are still screwed...

AT Hiker

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/issue/ ... er-hunters

I like the idea that more folks are getting involved in hunting but this article does a horrible job of portraying the new "hipster" hunter and the stereotype redneck hunter. Hipsters are a new trend, one that will likely evolve into something else. But hunters in general are not new, not every hunter listens to Skynyrd and Hank. Nor do they drive jacked up trucks or as the article says, "bait deer within range".

I have met hunters from all walks of life, sure the stereotype redneck poacher gives a bad rap, but guess what! They are not the majority and actually I would say the vast majority of hunters and sportsmen that I know are educated, middle class and live in the city/suburbs. This locavore movement makes it seem like they are the first city dwellers to hunt. Maybe this is why TWRA is raising tags, as the article implies "financially secure yuppies" are taking to the field to get organic meat.

Any yuppies here on TN Deer? All my yuppy friends that live in Nashville like to fish, none are really into hunting but they do love to eat venison when Im in the mood to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSK

I found it a relatively well-balanced article. I embrace these new "hipster" hunters. I would love to see more people interested in hunting for food, especially those who are closely connected to the mass media. The fastest way to improve press on a particular topic is for those closest to the media to suddenly find out they like it. They then tell or blog to their friends about it, in a common language, and suddenly positive press follows.

Although the self-important attitudes of the overly-educated "hipster" crowd can be a tad annoying, most of those I interact with regularly really turn out to be decent people. Besides, having to deal with real life and death decisions would probably do them some good. Nothing like a little reality to tone down utopian ideology.

jaybird62

Pretty good article. All of the "reality" TV showing people living off the land is taking what experienced hunters know about life, death and living and revealing it to a lot of urbanites who don't have a clue. Some of them want to explore and embrace our way of life. More power to them.

The author, JR Sullivan, is from the Nashville area, so he has a pretty good perspective on Tennessee deer hunters. I gave Jared his first job as an editor in 2012. He's a gifted writer and a great guy who is climbing the outdoors editorial ladder now at Sporting Classics.

Scioto

I'm not sure what a "hipster hunter" is, but I guess my "country hunter" friends and colleagues would consider me one since I live in surburbia and work downtown, even though I've been hunting all my life and grew up in a small town and hunting my grandparent's farm. I think it's always positive when new hunters are brought into our sport and lifestyle. I just hope this isn't one more dividing line for hunters. We have enough already.

TX300mag

I don't like stereotypes of hunters at all, but Jesse Griffiths is from Austin, TX and I have to admit that his stereotype is something he formed based on honest experience.

catman529

If we can generalize about the hipster stereotype then I guess they can generalize about the redneck hunter stereotype....both have some truth.

Long as they don't try to bring any liberal ideals into the hunting world. We don't need any mag cap restrictions in the woods, lol

Sent from the talk of tap

catman529

OHVATN":cjcw3x9w said:
I'm not sure what a "hipster hunter" is, but I guess my "country hunter" friends and colleagues would consider me one since I live in surburbia and work downtown, even though I've been hunting all my life and grew up in a small town and hunting my grandparent's farm. I think it's always positive when new hunters are brought into our sport and lifestyle. I just hope this isn't one more dividing line for hunters. We have enough already.
hipster hunters and urban hunters are not the same thing. I grew up in the suburbs and live in a small but rapidly growing city and I am not a hipster, but I see them in herds every time I go downtown

Sent from the talk of tap

fairchaser

Unfortunately, I see this trend as short lived. I welcome any positive news on hunting but, hunting for meat requires a level of dedication that I doubt that hipster hunters are going to maintain. It may sound cool to go out and procure your own free range meat until you have to secure land, buy equipment and process it. When you add it all up, there is little if any economic benefit. But hey, I say go for it. More power to ya!

BSK

fairchaser":7soezjxr said:
Unfortunately, I see this trend as short lived. I welcome any positive news on hunting but, hunting for meat requires a level of dedication that I doubt that hipster hunters are going to maintain. It may sound cool to go out and procure your own free range meat until you have to secure land, buy equipment and process it. When you add it all up, there is little if any economic benefit. But hey, I say go for it. More power to ya!

I agree that for the majority of hipsters, it's a fad that will pass. But for those who totally embrace the lifestyle, it isn't a fad. Just as there are still a dedicated group of hippies 30-40 years after the fad faded out for the majority, in 30 years we will see a dedicated core group of hipsters in their 50s. Although many in the current hipster movement can be total tools, there ARE aspects of the lifestyle that are engaging, and some will carry these core values for the rest of their life. I think any hipsters that go 'all in" for sustainable living, to the point of including hunting for meat, will probably stick with it. It takes so much dedication to become a hunter, that once in, they will be all in. That said, I think this group of hunting hipsters will be a tiny subset of all hipsters.

Latest posts