The Cold

prstide

I think you missed the point
That it's going to be cold?? This is in the waterfowl forum. Generally folks that waterfowl hunt do so in some of the more nasty weather the season has to offer because that's what either brings new birds in or makes the birds in their immediate area actually move.
That said, waterfowl hunters also know when it locks up, like it does in the extreme cold predicted, there is no use in hunting because the ducks are on the rivers until it thaws, meaning the temps are warmer.
I may still be missing the point…

Last edited:

WilcoKen

I am not chancing it on the river Friday and probably not Saturday as well. Its just a duck. I have a 17 ft Xpress with 60 Yamaha. Its a heavier boat. But, if you go in the water, it's probably over. I remember in 1999 when the guys drowned on Old Hickory. It was similar weather to what we have coming. I dont think they were far from the bank either. It can happen fast.

TimberMan

I was just making the point that it is going to be nasty and dangerous out. I have gear (not Sitka) that can handle the cold but any exposed skin gets damaged quick in the temps that are forecasted. And as mentioned about boats, when it is this cold and wind blowing ice build up on a boat can become a problem before you know it. Just everyone be careful who decides to get out if the forcast hold true.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
The Weather Channel app is saying 3deg Friday morning and wind gusts up to 40mph. Pretty brutal.

Doubt that a duck is worth being out in a boat in those conditions.
Nope. I'll be stoking the fire in the fireplace and making chocolate pies for my grandkids since my wife can't do it this year due to rotator cuff surgery. Hoping the roads are clear enough for them to come over Saturday and get our grub on and open a few presents.

Displaced_Vol

Honestly I'm hoping this weather just blows them on past us. I'd rather they be south of us to start January than north of us. I don't have any "big" water too close to me and I'm not even planning on fooling with them until next week possibly. South wind and a thaw can be great hunting in January in my experience, but not if they never made it down to start with.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Honestly I'm hoping this weather just blows them on past us. I'd rather they be south of us to start January than north of us. I don't have any "big" water too close to me and I'm not even planning on fooling with them until next week possibly. South wind and a thaw can be great hunting in January in my experience, but not if they never made it down to start with.
Good point.

Dodge Man

My water is waist deep. 16 inch well, 3 ice eaters running on electric. I will be there every day for a while. of course, may not kill em. who knows.
Worst part of the temps coming is keeping the boat trail open and not tearing up boats motors and equipment. It is hell on boat motors when it is 0 degrees.

Latest posts