The 7-08 is THE finest deer cartridge...

HatchieLuvr

of ALL time! :party:

NOTHING is better. :super:

The rest of JUNK! :stir:

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the rest of your rifles. :pop:

You can thank me later. :rotf:

Carry on. :mrgreen:

Stykbow

I'll say this for it. I had one in an Encore and it killed them just as dead as the 300WM. Rounds were cheaper and it wasn't nearly as punishing to shoot.

If you're going to be stupid, you'd better be tough!

Hardwoodmaterials

WHAT! Not a chance that its better than the 50BMG. No tracking job required and it minimizes the weight of the deer so its easier to drag to the truck! :lol:

7mm08

HatchieLuvr":1z01ldm7 said:

Glad you started this crap storm and not me! Totally agree but watch out them thar 30-06 guys are going to fire up

7mm08

Lost Lake":1vavxwqe said:
Elmer Keith said many times that the 7x57 (the 7-08s ballistic twin) is one of the finest lady's cartridges ever.

And for the elephant hunters too!!' Hahahahaha

Guess they couldn't be " pie plate shooters"

Don't ever let science and mathematics show you the way.....

Attachments

• 3A91E25D-C6FA-476D-88A7-8020AB7D986B.jpeg
    3A91E25D-C6FA-476D-88A7-8020AB7D986B.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 673

FTG-05

HatchieLuvr":3ghtxvap said:

I tried: I found nothing I can disagree with. OP speaks the truth. :party: :party: :party:

kamml

I have a sweet shooting 7.08 in a Marlin XS-7, I have never hunted with it but my range work several years ago yielded 1 minute of angle with no problem at 100yds using hand loads. Low recoil and good accuracy are good qualities in a rifle. I think I put a Boyd's walnut stock on it too, I just haven't handled it in several years. One of these days ,,,

HatchieLuvr

Rammer Jammer":1o9ay3ki said:
I bought one in a Bergara Ridge earlier this year. Looking forward to trying it on deer this fall. I've never shot this caliber before.

I'm glad to see everyone realizes my humor with this post.

But for RJ, you'll probably be like me, "love at first trigger pull". I literally own over 20 big game rifles of various calibers and have had half that many again that have come and gone over the years. My first foray into the 7-08 was back in 1990 with a Rem Mdl 7 Mountain Rifle. I was a 20something, young, dumb and still had the "magnumitis" so I didn't keep that perfect deer gun! :oops: But when it came time to properly arm my boys and guests for my 250#+ Hatchiemonsters, the 7-08 is what I moved most of them to after they got their youngest starts with 243s. After seeing it's performance I decided a couple years ago to dip my toe back into the 7-08 pool and I grabbed a Savage that I had cut down to 18" and hung a 2x7 Redfield atop it and waded off into my swamp after "Hatchiesauruses" and it's never failed any of us.

Accuracy wise, I've never seen a 7-08 that didn't shoot like a custom, pet rifle! It's truly an inherently accurate cartridge that also packs plenty of wallop, penetration and great flight with deer sized bullets. Like I tell everyone that asks me about the cart, "It's got EVERYTHING you need and NOTHING that you DON'T in a deer cartridge!" :tu: I also refer to it as "THE GREATEST under 1/4 mile deer cartridge available!"

I've got romper stompers for "next zip code hunting" (A Lazzeroni Warbird and it's "lil brother" a 300 Wby Mag) but once I bought my place on the Hatchie 10yrs ago, my need for shots over 300yds seldom come around anymore. (Heck most are under 100 honestly, many in bow range in fact)

Yep my 7-08 will do the same thing my 30-06s, 308, 270, 280 and 7mags do but it just does it "more better!!!" :party: :rotf:

MUP

I must agree with the inherently accurate statement. My Tikka M595 7-08 drills the center of the bullseye coldbore every time I've shot it so far, with factory 140 gr corlokts at 100 yds. I haven't even begun to think about handloading for it yet.

HatchieLuvr

RikkiV":37yn7adh said:
.243 just as good ;)

I wanted to believe that and honestly hoped it would be true. But a couple years of experience on my place proved otherwise. For does and young/small bucks, the 243 is absolutely fine! I truly love the 243, it's one helluva great lil package and a FINE "truck gun" cartridge. Yotes, pests, "tresspassing critters", "meatpole deer" etc... yep it'll turn their lights out and do it at about any range you most likely need to do such tasks. I grew up hunting deer in several states and as a teen in the 80s I was caught up on the "magnum wagon" for many years! But when I bought my place a decade ago and my sons and my best friends son began hunting as kids, we bought them 243s. They piled up the does and young bucks like madmen. I experimented with many rounds in their 243s as well but usually kept going back to the 80-90grain Barnes offerings as they always yielded the most penetration. I much prefer an exit wound, if you can't "drop them in their tracks" then you want two holes for max bloodtrailing. Any high velocity round put in the lungs/heart is going to destroy that tissue. But these big bodied swampmonsters have proven themselves to be extraordinarily TOUGH crittes and can still make quite a bit of commotion and distance even with their pumphouse essentially destroyed.

My place is along the Hatchie River as well as has 2 lakes and several sloughs and creeks that have water in them 12mths a year. The mature bucks are also typically very large bodied, we've taken quite a few 240-250# live weights with my largest so far being a 275# bulldozer I took opening weekend of muzzleloader back a few years ago! It's when the boys started shooting the bigger bodied deer that I began to see the 243 stop fully penetrating those animals. And I mean "easy shots" like broadside, walking or standing animals at less than 50yd shots. Yes the animals would die but they would cover quite a bit of ground and leave no blood trail before expiring. You will loose bucks on my place to the blackwater and the river itself if you don't break them down quickly and "twin vents" is a must have for assuring a good, steady bloodtrail. I've used everything from big mags, to stoutly loaded 45-70s and everything in between. The 7-08 offers plenty of penetration (120 Barnes or the majority of 140 standard offerings in "cup & core" bullets) and power but does so in a light, quick, easy to shoot package. Again I REALLY wanted and hoped that the 243 was going to allow for that but it didn't after a couple of seasons testing on the largest of bodied bucks on my place.

Now yes if you are just meat hunting and like to "ear hole" or put the bullet right behind the skull, then the lil 243 will turn out a Brahma bulls lights with such shot placement. Heck I've removed several does from my place (and even a cullbuck once) with my 22-250 stoked with 55grn Bonded Trophy Bear Claw's. Simply a "point and click" affair with that shot placement. But that's just not prudent when chasing the big boys down in the black swamp timber!

Latest posts