New Cartridge

41Magnum

Just read an interesting article on the new Remington 360 Buckhammer. A 30-30 Win. case straightened out to accept .358 diameter bullets. Loaded with 180 and 200 grain Core-Lokts. This is another straight wall cartridge to compete with the 350 Legend. According to the writer it's faster and somewhat flatter than the Legend. Henry will be the first maker to offer it in their lever guns and a single shot. It being a rimmed case it will be a good cartridge in an Encore pistol or rifle. More bait to dangle in front of us guns nuts…. 🤔

Lost Lake

Sounds like it'll almost be as good as the defunct .375 Winchester, which is one of my favorite cartridges.

I wish Remington would focus on making more ammo for the .35, instead of letting it fall by the wayside while trying to compete with the Legend.

The .35 is a fantastic round, but I guess Remington is jumping into a faddish niche market with this new release.

Last edited:

CHRIS WILSON

Just read an interesting article on the new Remington 360 Buckhammer. A 30-30 Win. case straightened out to accept .358 diameter bullets. Loaded with 180 and 200 grain Core-Lokts. This is another straight wall cartridge to compete with the 350 Legend. According to the writer it's faster and somewhat flatter than the Legend. Henry will be the first maker to offer it in their lever guns and a single shot. It being a rimmed case it will be a good cartridge in an Encore pistol or rifle. More bait to dangle in front of us guns nuts…. 🤔
Supposedly, it's a little hotter than the 35 Remington. Published data shows a 200 gr bullet in the 2200+ fps range and 180 gr in the 2300+ fps range. Should make a really good deer, hog and black bear round. I can see it finding a small following among lever gun enthusiasts and probably a small following in those straight walled cartridge states but I'll be really surprised if it takes off and becomes anything big.

rifle02

I'm sure I'm wrong but I have never seen the attraction to these types of cartridges outside of states where you can only use straight wall cartridges.
Me either. But when I was dropping a deer off at a processor another customer told me he used a 350 for hunting in, I forget where, Indiana or ohio. He likes it so much he says that he put his 30-06 away.

knightrider

I'm sure I'm wrong but I have never seen the attraction to these types of cartridges outside of states where you can only use straight wall cartridges.
I bought one for an out of state hunt last year and i love it, no recoil, lightweight, ammo everywhere, and flattens deer! I now have three of them and a closet full of ammo😂

Lost Lake

Wouldn't that just make it a .38-55?

Basically, like Plateau Hunter said, it's a revamp of a cartridge called a 35/30. It doesn't really do anything the 35 Remington wasn't already doing very well.

I love straight wall big bore cartridges for lever actions, but only a few like the 45/70 and to a degree, the .444 Marlin have remained popular.

The 38-55 and the "modern" high pressure version of it, the .375 Winchester, have faded. It's a shame too, because they're great medium bore options for levers.

I hate that this 360 uses the same bullet diameter as the .35 Remington, because now Big Green will be using most of those for the 360 instead of putting them into the .35. Users of the .35 only receive limited runs of ammo as it is now, and reloaders have a hard enough time finding components. Lots of fine Model 336 35's are gonna be gathering more dust as the 360 gets the bullets. Dang shame. Maybe though, bullet makers will offer more .358 bullet options because of this new fad.

Just my thoughts.

Robtattoo

Basically, like Plateau Hunter said, it's a revamp of a cartridge called a 35/30. It doesn't really do anything the 35 Remington wasn't already doing very well.

I love straight wall big bore cartridges for lever actions, but only a few like the 45/70 and to a degree, the .444 Marlin have remained popular.

The 38-55 and the "modern" high pressure version of it, the .375 Winchester, have faded. It's a shame too, because they're great medium bore options for levers.

I hate that this 360 uses the same bullet diameter as the .35 Remington, because now Big Green will be using most of those for the 360 instead of putting them into the .35. Users of the .35 only receive limited runs of ammo as it is now, and reloaders have a hard enough time finding components. Lots of fine Model 336 35's are gonna be gathering more dust as the 360 gets the bullets. Dang shame. Maybe though, bullet makers will offer more .358 bullet options because of this new fad.

Just my thoughts.

With any luck, the one good thing that might come out of is would be Speer going back to making their .358 220gn that they discontinued last year. My .358 win sure does love those things & I'm down to my last 100.

348Winchester

Wouldn't that just make it a .38-55?
In some ways yes and other ways no. The 30/30 case is a necked down 38/55. However the 38/55's bread and butter load is a 255 grain bullet and its diameter is .375-380. The bore diameters vary wildly in older guns.
A stout loaded 38/55 throwing a 255 grain bullet about 1700-1800 fps would be more powerful.

I have a load for my strong single shots that pushes a 255 grainer about 2100 fps and a 200 grainer at about 2350 fps. It would beat all hell out of the 350 Legend or the Remington 360.

Latest posts