TFWC Commission Season Setting Meeting **LIVE LINK**

lafn96

This article gives the proposed 2022 deer season dates. It also mentions significant changes potentially coming in 2024 - but it doesn't say what those changes are. Anyone know?

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I have a feeling it'll just pour pressure into other public land areas in the state. Really appreciate all the youtube stars baiting in everyone from other states. Selfish promotion has led to a crap situation
I agree. Push their opening day back a week or two if they really want to knock down the non residents.

TommyJoe

Has there been any discussion on a quota for NR turkey hunters on our Tennessee public land? Or an increase in out of state license fees? A one bird limit, season wide, for out of state hunters would be my vote. Come to Nashville, see the lights, try for a bird and then go home. Follow the rules and don't trespass. Out of state guys get busted often on marked private land as well.

Bottom line: No one cares more about TN turkeys than TN turkey hunters. NR hunters have overstayed their welcome in my opinion and are killing a lot of birds you and your TN resident friends and family could enjoy hunting and killing.

Pushing the season date opener a week or two seems smart to me too, if only to give birds more time to breed. Yes, I know they breed before season opens already but it's basic facts that two more weeks of gobblers breeding hens surely would help numbers.

Last edited:

deerfever

This thread is golden! 🤣🤣 I just wonder if any of you guys hunt out of the state of TN.
Sure do,.I had to apply and be drawn because the state realized that a limited resource cannot have unlimited people hunting it and you never put revenue over the resource. They put a quota on Non resident hunters on public the first two weeks of the season,.no need to apply if you hunt private. I have hunted public for 41 years now and never seen anything like this year , this wasn't just a Nashville area thing as it was other public I hunted in TN also. Not even the covid year of 2020 compared to this for non residents. If you have private to hunt consider yourself lucky that you didn't have to go through what the public land guys did this season. No one I have seen is suggesting to do away with non resident hunters but if I have to apply to go to certain states what would be wrong with a quota in TN for the first part of the season when non residents are looking for an early start? The one bird thing will simply have them hopping to other areas and crowding those after they kill their 1 bird I am afraid but it's a start. They will end up having to make some of these areas quota hunts for everyone if they don't get the crowd under control. The combination of our early start and promotion of our state for turkey hunting did us in this year in my opinion.

gobblegrunt

Sure do,.I had to apply and be drawn because the state realized that a limited resource cannot have unlimited people hunting it and you never put revenue over the resource. They put a quota on Non resident hunters on public the first two weeks of the season,.no need to apply if you hunt private. I have hunted public for 41 years now and never seen anything like this year , this wasn't just a Nashville area thing as it was other public I hunted in TN also. Not even the covid year of 2020 compared to this for non residents. If you have private to hunt consider yourself lucky that you didn't have to go through what the public land guys did this season. No one I have seen is suggesting to do away with non resident hunters but if I have to apply to go to certain states what would be wrong with a quota in TN for the first part of the season when non residents are looking for an early start? The one bird thing will simply have them hopping to other areas and crowding those after they kill their 1 bird I am afraid but it's a start. They will end up having to make some of these areas quota hunts for everyone if they don't get the crowd under control. The combination of our early start and promotion of our state for turkey hunting did us in this year in my opinion.
I hunt 90 percent public land for Turkey

TommyJoe

One bird statewide for NR hunters who don't own land in TN is my opinion at this moment.

TommyJoe

With 90% of your hunting on public then, I especially would like to see it where you get your good hunting in before the NR. I'd think you'd agree? More birds for you and your TN buddies to hunt.

SD for instance has two weeks open before NR hunters come in for pheasant.

Last edited:

TommyJoe

Arkansas duck hunting is similar to a tn resident.
I recognize this similarity. Good point to be made. It's a close comparison but not apples to apples in my opinion.

It's been two years since I've hunted AR. Update us on the waterfowl rules for NR now please. I recall hearing of some changes that would benefit AR residents.

Also, all the poachers and trespassers I've heard about lately getting caught have been AR hunters (some unlicensed).

Buzzard Breath

I will say this much, we sure are good at complaining about the regs on here, but we're not very good at letting TWRA know about it. Only 120 comments to TWRA on the turkey regs.

Screenshot_20220514-124024_Drive.jpg

Hduke86

Latest posts