Tent platform?

Spurhunter

I've been looking at some webpages about tent platforms but they are usually for small tents. I tent camp a lot during turkey season at my lease. Starting next year I think I'll be camping there for deer season too. I get sick of looking for a great spot that's not too rocky, not too muddy, level, shady, etc. I have a 14x10 flex bow tent. What if I made a platform out of plywood and a frame barely off the ground? It would solve pretty much every problem I can think of. I could even eliminate driving all those stakes by drilling holes in the right locations and installing J-bolts permanently to slide my tent's elastic loops over. Once I get it in position and leveled up, that's where it will stay. I can't think of any negatives. Am I missing any?

Mattt

Yup just adding more crap to the kit. If I hunt a place more than just a couple times I already know where to camp. Be less work to take a rake and shovel and build camp and it's there for years. Or buy a cot and get off the ground.

DoubleRidge

I've seen wood platforms set up for tents while camping at Boxwell BSA reservation....they were permanent platforms to get the tent up off rough rocky or wet ground..... couple of years ago I started using a cot when tent / truck camping....I'll never go back to air mattress or foam mat....nice cot is the way to go.

If I was going to build platform I'd build it bigger than needed to have a porch or section of platform out front of tent door....would be nice for taking boots off and on in rainy or muddy weather.

Might consider deck boards verses plywood...deck boards may drain off better when raining...maybe.

Spurhunter

couple of years ago I started using a cot when tent / truck camping....I'll never go back to air mattress or foam mat....nice cot is the way to go.
My reason for avoiding rocks is not for my comfort, but more to protect the floor of the tent. I found out pretty quick an air mattress will freeze you to death when camping in the winter. I researched and bought the best cot I could find. The REI Kingdom Cot is pretty dang comfortable.

scn

It sounds like an awesome idea to me. I agree that boards where it will drain better instead of plywood would likely be better.

I'd suggest bigger than the tent footprint so you are stepping out onto the platform exiting the tent to keep from any middle of the night issues.

If you could luck up and find a metal carport that someone wants gone to put up over it, you would really have a sweet setup. Some shade during turkey season goes a long way.

AT Hiker

I stayed in a wall tent in WY once that was sitting a top pallets, its been a while but Im pretty sure they had ply wood on top as well due to the open floor of the tent.
It wasnt very even though.

scn

I'm guessing that you could reduce that issue by framing the sides down to ground level or maybe use a couple layers of offset chicken wire on the sides to make it harder for them to come and go.

I think the pros will outweigh the cons.

Mattt

The cons are more set up time and hauling all that plywood. Like at said, the platform are usually used for camp that is setup and left the entire season. Out west plywood will last 40 years out in the weather. East coast you will do good to get 5 years. Tent camp should've easy to move. Less is more here. Get good liner for underneath the tent , pick better spots to pitch. Before I haul a bunch of heavy,bulky construction materials into camp I'd buy a really nice cot and a really nice set of crocs to eliminate stone bruises. Again just my opinion

Spurhunter

The cons are more set up time and hauling all that plywood. Like at said, the platform are usually used for camp that is setup and left the entire season. Out west plywood will last 40 years out in the weather. East coast you will do good to get 5 years. Tent camp should've easy to move. Less is more here. Get good liner for underneath the tent , pick better spots to pitch. Before I haul a bunch of heavy,bulky construction materials into camp I'd buy a really nice cot and a really nice set of crocs to eliminate stone bruises. Again just my opinion
I don't think you've read any of the posts here. I have a cot. I don't want the platform for sleeping. This platform will be left at my lease. 99% of my tent camping is done there. It's difficult to find a spot for a 14×10 that's not too rocky, not muddy, shady, and level. This will fix all those problems and make setup faster. Whatever wood I use will be treated and coated with water seal. I will probably cover it with 60" wide pieces of conveyor belting when not in use.

Mattt

Yea just read your original post and you said you we're tired of looking for a good spot not leaving it up all year but I'll take blame and bow out as obviously I do tknow anything about it since I was asking for advice on a forum.

Latest posts