Tent recommendations

scn

My Euraka tent is 20+ years old and likely in need of replacement. It has been a great tent!

I'm thinking about a late spring camping/fishing trip out west. I need to find a 4-6 man tent that is totally waterproof and will stay up under heavy winds that I can put up by myself as it may be a solo trip this time. I'm still wanting a 4-6 for any future trips in case I have someone along. The weight isn't an issue as I will not be using the tent for any backpacking.

I saw the post about the Dakota, and will check them out. If anybody else has any recommendations, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks, Steve

sharpshooter

Kodiak canvas if weight and "car camping" is your goal. These things aren't light at all, but it is easy for one man to set up and they are very wind and water resistant.

Buzzard Breath

Poser":1tt8ebn7 said:
As for your Eureka, a small monetary investment and some time investment should get that thing good as new.
Clean it thoroughly, retreat it with Nikwax DWR and reseal the seams with silicone application. -watch some Youtube videos on how to do this because it needs to be done right. Do this and your tent is as good as new for about $25 and 2-3 hours of your time.
This. ^^^^^^^^

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/caring-tent.html

But, if you're really not wanting to chance it and just buy a new tent, I would buy a Big Agnes. Any tent in their line-up should be able to stand up to the wind out west. I'd slept in some of the worst wind Wyoming could dish out in mine. It's only a 2 person, but a fishing buddy has a 4 person that we use on fishing trips and it's awesome. I know one person can set it up, because he always has it setup by the time I arrive. A lot of people don't like rei due to their stance on hunting, but they are unbeatable for customer service. I was in their Asheville store today (tent shopping, believe it or not) and we (me, wife, and saleswoman) setup 3 different tents in the store just to see them.

Where are you headed?

scn

Buzzard Breath":3avmckq0 said:
Poser":3avmckq0 said:
As for your Eureka, a small monetary investment and some time investment should get that thing good as new.
Clean it thoroughly, retreat it with Nikwax DWR and reseal the seams with silicone application. -watch some Youtube videos on how to do this because it needs to be done right. Do this and your tent is as good as new for about $25 and 2-3 hours of your time.
This. ^^^^^^^^

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/caring-tent.html

But, if you're really not wanting to chance it and just buy a new tent, I would buy a Big Agnes. Any tent in their line-up should be able to stand up to the wind out west. I'd slept in some of the worst wind Wyoming could dish out in mine. It's only a 2 person, but a fishing buddy has a 4 person that we use on fishing trips and it's awesome. I know one person can set it up, because he always has it setup by the time I arrive. A lot of people don't like rei due to their stance on hunting, but they are unbeatable for customer service. I was in their Asheville store today (tent shopping, believe it or not) and we (me, wife, and saleswoman) setup 3 different tents in the store just to see them.

Where are you headed?

If I'm not working by then, and I hope I am, I'm thinking about a late June trip back out to ID & MT. The green drakes usually hit on the Henry's Fork around then, and the Madison will have caddis, golden stone, and maybe the tail end of the salmonfly over there.

scn

Poser":2yp7uol4 said:
Hmm. You looked at the Teepee options? Doesn't get any easier to set up: a dozen stakes and 1 carbon fiber pole.

Thanks, I'll set it up and see if it is worth the trouble. It was fine the last time I used it, but that has been 3-4 years ago.

I ordered a tent today online, but the little Euraka is handy to have as well. I've set it up by myself many times.

AT Hiker

I too have an old Eureka and recently upgraded to a Big Angnes Flying Diamond 8. My wife, and at the time 9 month old daughter, camped in Yellowstone last September. It dipped down below freezing each night (we used a buddy heater some with no condensation problems) it rained some and we stayed dry. It held up to 30mph+ winds and was plenty big enough for her pack n play and our queen airbed. You can even stand up in the center to change clothes, Im 5'10" so a taller person wouldnt be able to stand all the way up. I bought it from REI because I love their customer service.