Canvas tent repair

AT Hiker

My Kodiak ripped (size of a baseball) on the top and Im having difficulty getting ahold of them about a possible warranty. "Technically" my grandfather bought the tent but he has passed away, so I do not know where the receipt is nor could I find a email confirmation, not sure it would be worth the fight.

Anyways, Ive been thinking about adding a stove pipe jack to it. I thought I could kill two birds with one stone, get a local canvas place to repair to tear on the top of the tent and add a side jack.

Any recommendations?

Spurhunter

Good luck getting Kodiak to do anything. I loved the tent but their customer "no" service sucks. My tent got some small holes in it and they said I drug it across concrete. Tent was only used at my lease. Never was near any concrete. They were nice enough to sell me a repair kit though. When I got ready for a bigger canvas tent I went with a Teton just because Kodiak's customer service is so bad.

sharpshooter

Good luck getting Kodiak to do anything. I loved the tent but their customer "no" service sucks. My tent got some small holes in it and they said I drug it across concrete. Tent was only used at my lease. Never was near any concrete. They were nice enough to sell me a repair kit though. When I got ready for a bigger canvas tent I went with a Teton just because Kodiak's customer service is so bad.
How do you like the Teton compared to the Kodiak?

Mattt

Go to harbor freight or northern and buy a small heavy canvas tarp. Cut the patch and soak in camp dry for several days. Fold edges in and sew it up with heavy thread preferably a synthetic. Camp dry the stitch holes again and put it away for next year. That's what Fred bear would do lol

Spurhunter

How do you like the Teton compared to the Kodiak?
I actually prefer the extra windows available on the Kodiak, but I think the Teton is made a little better, but just a little. The Teton comes with better stakes. Honestly there isn't a world of difference in the two. If I were buying a new one today and Kodiak's customer service didn't suck so bad, I'd probably buy another Kodiak with all the extra windows and doors.

sharpshooter

I actually prefer the extra windows available on the Kodiak, but I think the Teton is made a little better, but just a little. The Teton comes with better stakes. Honestly there isn't a world of difference in the two. If I were buying a new one today and Kodiak's customer service didn't suck so bad, I'd probably buy another Kodiak with all the extra windows and doors.
I looked at the Teton online and had the same thought as you on lack of windows. I had a 10x14 Kodiak and sold it about 7 years ago, never any problems with it. I have been thinking about buying another one with the big side windows, but hated to hear about your customer service experience. Thanks for the reply.

DoubleRidge

My Kodiak ripped (size of a baseball) on the top and Im having difficulty getting ahold of them about a possible warranty. "Technically" my grandfather bought the tent but he has passed away, so I do not know where the receipt is nor could I find a email confirmation, not sure it would be worth the fight.

Anyways, Ive been thinking about adding a stove pipe jack to it. I thought I could kill two birds with one stone, get a local canvas place to repair to tear on the top of the tent and add a side jack.

Any recommendations?

I have no personal experience with them but what about Nashville Tent and Awning....they certainly sew canvas.... maybe they would do your repair.

AT Hiker

I have no personal experience with them but what about Nashville Tent and Awning....they certainly sew canvas.... maybe they would do your repair.
Funny that I blew them off when I first started looking, someone said they used to make military tents but stopped. So I just assumed they wouldn't take on a small job like me.
Now that you thought of it, I called. Looks like I'll be dropping my tent off to them once I order a stove jack to install!

Pretty excited to get a jack installed and of course my tent fixed. Screw Kodiaks customer service, lucky they make a good product but it will be hard to buy anything from them in the future.

DoubleRidge

Funny that I blew them off when I first started looking, someone said they used to make military tents but stopped. So I just assumed they wouldn't take on a small job like me.
Now that you thought of it, I called. Looks like I'll be dropping my tent off to them once I order a stove jack to install!

Pretty excited to get a jack installed and of course my tent fixed. Screw Kodiaks customer service, lucky they make a good product but it will be hard to buy anything from them in the future.

Good deal...glad it worked out.....on the repair and the stove jack install....cool.

Iglow

Get 2 small pcs of canvas that will cover the hole with excess of an inch all around. Sew it TIGHT all around. Go to walmart and get a box of gulf wax and melt it in a double boiler and paint the melted wax heavily on both sides of the patch for a foot away from it then when the wax sets on the canvas heat the patched/ painted area with a heat gun to remelt the wax and make it saturate the canvas. It'll shed water like a waxed car.

AT Hiker

Get 2 small pcs of canvas that will cover the hole with excess of an inch all around. Sew it TIGHT all around. Go to walmart and get a box of gulf wax and melt it in a double boiler and paint the melted wax heavily on both sides of the patch for a foot away from it then when the wax sets on the canvas heat the patched/ painted area with a heat gun to remelt the wax and make it saturate the canvas. It'll shed water like a waxed car.
The tent is already at a repair shop but if I ever need another repair I will refer back to this post.
Thank you!

Omega

What he said, except that its best to lock the edges down, here is a sample from one of my Rigger Manuals. The left is for a parachute canopy, so the patch needs to be on the inside (air pressure), the right is for other items which can have the patch on the outside. The patch can be hand sewn but machine sewn is best, though with canvas you would need a heavy duty machine.

1646443604461.png

Latest posts