Tennessee Salmon

catman529

The TWRA hatchery sometimes throws a few big trout (3-5 pounds) in the truck during the winter stocking from December thru March. My friend Rob caught one of the big ones the other day. I grilled the whole thing with him and a couple other friends and we ate it off the bone.

Most fish I like to eat when they are smaller, but these trout are a different animal when they get big, the meat turns pink and it tastes almost like salmon.

Rubbed the whole fish with Chef Paul's blackened redfish magic, inside and out, with butter on the inside. Grilled it till the skin was charred and then pulled the skin off and ate one side at a time. The belly and tail meat is the best, but the whole thing was amazing.

989389fb97ce01b1e8105fbe0ae6bda4.jpg

f46f8230e7568e19098ec29575a80e98.jpg

7725039cf6013d6c8e1eb86d39502e7e.jpg

d2270cd616e747da266c51f7c937780e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bloodtrailing

The pink color in the meat I am told is from the food they feed them in the hatchery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

bloodtrailing":3kmsboz3 said:
The pink color in the meat I am told is from the food they feed them in the hatchery.

that is true for salmon but I don't think necessarily trout, the small stocker trout don't have pink meat

Crow Terminator

This must be the year for stocking brood trout. I talked to the guys getting their water in the tanks to go stock the Hiwassee a few weeks ago and they said they would be putting several in, in the 3 to 5 pound range. The Tellico Trophies are brood fish too and they seem to be releasing a lot more of them than they did in the past.

The pink color in the meat...I don't have scientific knowledge about it but I have cleaned a crap ton of trout, this year especially. I've noticed some have the pink meat and some do not but I can't say that I've noticed a difference in the sizes of the fish having a bearing on what color flesh it has. But then again I just recently learned how to tell the male from female so I'm sure there's a lot that I don't know.

fishboy1

dont know about TN trout but our Laker Trout guide told us that the lake trout will have different colored meat depending on what kind of forage they are eating.
The pink/orange fish tasted better than the lighter colored fillets.

catman529

Crow Terminator":1ex9v5h2 said:
This must be the year for stocking brood trout. I talked to the guys getting their water in the tanks to go stock the Hiwassee a few weeks ago and they said they would be putting several in, in the 3 to 5 pound range. The Tellico Trophies are brood fish too and they seem to be releasing a lot more of them than they did in the past.
I talked to the guy last year and he said they weren't brood fish, they were just fish that they let grow another year or two

Crow Terminator

They called them brood fish. The only reason I can say that for certain is that I had no idea what a brood was and just nodded my head when they were telling me about stocking them like I knew what the heck they were talking about. I thought I might have misheard them and that they had said "brook trout" instead of "brood trout". But then I looked up brood fish and it made sense then because I doubted them stocking multiple state record brook trout haha.

catman529

Buzzy":k2j664op said:
Stocker trout will have a brownish meat from eating dog food they feed them in the concrete pools. A trout that has been a trout for a year will have pink meat but no brown.

this one had the typical brown "mud vane" or whatever you call it, but I've seen that in a variety of wild fish that never saw a hatchery. Some catfish have a lot of mud and some have almost none. Sometimes I like that muddy taste and sometimes I'd rather have a clean tasting fish. It's a matter of preference

Latest posts