Tennessee Mallard Project Video

Iglow

You know good and well if dose not take all that for a High school age kid to go duck hunting. I was hunting in the late 80 and early 90s. I hunted 30+ days a season, i didn't own any high end equipment. I barrowed a 1100 12, had a doz decoys and some rubber hip boots. I would go with friends dads, walk in on public land or use a small boat and paddle in. I went to high school in the early to mid 90s and most everyone I knew duck hunted and deer hunted. Hell back then once we were able to drive we would go duck hunting every morning before school and be in our seats by 8am. We could leave our guns and all of our equipment in the truck. A lot of days we would hunt morning and afternoon after school. But when i got a full time job my first purchase ever to require payments was a Brand new Go-Devil boat from a dealer in 1995. It was a 16x48 with a brand new 18hp go-devil. I don't really see many kids these days with anything we would not have had back then if it was available. I went to school with plenty of kids that drove newer trucks, had the newest 4wheeler, had newer boats and motors.
Oh I know, I did it. Burlap bag, 12 flambeau water keel mallards, green uninsulated waders, hunting off the bank with a spinning rod/top water plug for a retriever…But there was a huge difference between the late 70's/early 80's and the late 80's/early 90's economically.
But back to this season, I've yet to fire a shot and this morning will be the 6th time going. I tell myself Thursday and Friday look promising but deep down I know better.

Last edited:

Dodge Man

Oh I know, I did it. Burlap bag, 12 flambeau water keel mallards, green uninsulated waders, hunting off the bank with a spinning rod/top water plug for a retriever…But there was a huge difference between the late 70's/early 80's and the late 80's/early 90's economically.
But back to this season, I've yet to fire a shot and this morning will be the 6th time going. I tell myself Thursday and Friday look promising but deep down I know better.
I have paying attention to weather patterns and duck movements the past few years. They don't move with small fronts or temperature drops locally like they used to. If it is a major change like snow or temperature dropping 20-30 degrees in a day it get them moving. But it takes a lot more then it use to for me to get excited over a change in the weather.

BSK

The last couple of years I've been shocked by how nocturnal the local ducks have become. They only fly in and out of the Refuge in first/last light. Wave after wave of them going over, but so dark I can hardly see them. Out of the Refuge at dark-thirty in the evening, into the Refuge before first light in the morning.

Latest posts