Tellico Bear & Boar Hunting

KODAK

Good luck! Those guy are pretty territorial and spend lots of time and money on the sport that they love. Just respect them when you are up there and don't act like you own the place. Shoot straight and take a good radio with ya.

blountcountyboy

Blount CountyTN ya know over next to Cades Cove
Look guys, here's the deal. Don't be afraid to come hunt up here. This is what makes me so mad. Everyone thinks that we bear hunters are mindless, hilbilly, criminals that will shoot you for looking at us wrong. Years ago that was the image that was portayed. What makes bear hunters upset is getting dogs injured. Believe it or not most bear hunters don't care about the killing, they do it because they love to hear the dogs running comroderie and family tradition. With that said if you see a bear coming down a ridge that is being persued by hounds kill it. Make a good shot and if you don't kill it out right you must grow a pair and go in and finish it off. A wounded bear can and will kill dogs QUICKLY. If the dogs have it bayed or are in tight or one is getting hurt by the bear you need to move in close (point blank) and shoot it..perferably in the head. By you killing the bear you have accomplished what the houndsmen set out to do. His hounds started a track, "drove" the track, and the game was taken ending the persuit. Now, when you find a bear treed it would be respectful for you to wait until the owner or handler gets there. If the bear starts down the tree then make a judgement call and do what you have to. The houndsmens greatest joy is seeing his or her dog "bellied" up on a tree doing what it was bred to do. A true houndsmen will have 95 pictures of his dogs treeing and 5 pictures of the bear. Shooting a bear from a tree is dangerous for the dogs believe it or not. A 200# bear falling on a dog is deadly. Dogs tied back may start to fight do to the intensity of whats going on. A bear that's been shot poorly can come down the tree and kill defenseless dogs that are tied up. This is why I will be purposing to the state of TN wildlife next year that they mimic Maines guidelines on this and make it illegal (ethics aside) to shoot a bear from a tree that is being treed by another mans dogs unless you recieve permission first. Public land or not. The money tied up in the hunting of hounds isn't an issue. Our dogs are our family. I spend HOURS EVERY day with my dogs. Be it watering, feeding, cleaning up poop, vaccinating, training to hunt, training obedience and or just playing with them. My dogs eat before I do. My dogs are kept warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I can't tell you the nights I spent in a rocking chair waiting on my females to pup while my wife and children sleep in the warm house. When most hunters are done hunting they go home. I've spent as many as three days in a row nonstop looking, walking, sleeping in the woods, trying to find 1 dog. Are you that dedicated to Fido in your yard? I love to hunt with my hounds. I don't love killing bears and hogs. If you want to make a lasting impression on a houndsmen first carry plenty of rope. When you find a bear treed by his hounds tye each of them back from the tree 10 to 20 feet and far enough apart that they can't fight. Don't try to catch "iffy" (meaning maybe ill) dogs or kick or yell at a houndsmens dogs. If you witness an ill dog bring it to the attention (mildly) of what you saw. Wait for the houndsmen and when he gets there compliment his hounds...not him... or the bear. Ask him if you can harvest the bear that HIS dogs treed (he doesn't own the bear) and unless the houndsmen has already promissed a young hunter or a first timer of his party a chance most will allow you to take the bear. After you have killed the bear give your camera to the houndsmen and ask for him to take pictures of you, the bear and his DOGS. Ask if the houndsmen would like some of the meat. It would be an insult if you offered the man all the meat because most don't even keep the hide. It's the meat that we cherish and we hope that you eat or atleast try the meat. IF the houndsmen for some reason does NOT let you take the bear it would be nice for you to offer to help get it out of the woods. Do NOT be surprised if you do NOT receive help getting your bear out of the woods unless your going the same direction as the houndsmen. They have to lead dogs and alot have been following the exact steps as the dogs and are worn out. These things will make everyones hunting alot more enjoyable. Besides we don't climb your tree and shoot deer that you've scouted all year for. I hope to see you guys at the tree this year. I'll show you what bear hunting is all about..... my dogs. LOL!!!

blountcountyboy

buzz mcmanus said:
"

The hound hunters want to take away the archery season, when do they expect those of us that don't have dogs to hunt them? I don't even know anyone with dogs to get in on a hunt with them.

FYI, I'm not going to shoot a bear that's being treed or run by dogs. But, I don't believe anyone can claim ownership to the bear till it's tagged.

Mr. Buzz Bear season opens sept. 27. That's a monday. This season runs until Oct.3. That is 7 days but, only 2 are on a weekend. Then you have an Oct. 9-10th hunt. Those days are on a weekend.That's 9 days. It opens again Nov. 1-4th and that's a mon-thurs. There's 13 days. The last hunt is Dec. 2-15. There are 2 weekends in that season. There is a grand total of 27 days with 8 weekend days. Take away a weekend for any reason and alot of guys get to hunt 6 days of the bear season. Some guys have vacation days and save them for the season but, others can't. Now, if your a bowhunter you theoretically can hunt these dates plus the 31 days of "no dogs". If you dislike killing a bear caught with dogs that's your prerogative and you should be entitled to a season of your own that I agree with you on. However I don't believe you should enjoy a season of 58 days or more when some guys only get a weekend or two. I will stand beside you in the fight and say that yes bowhunters need a season to themselves but, I expect you to stand beside me when I'm fighting to keep my rights to run bears with hounds. We are all nimrods. Some just choose a different path.

a retrohillbilly

Blountcountyboy, I for one (like tndrbstr and others), absolutely stand behind your right to hunt bear with hounds, and do not want to see it abolished.. Some of my fondest memories were growing up rabbit hunting with our pack of beetles, so the bear chase would have to be that, magnified 100x. Wow! If I still lived over there, I'd probably have a couple of big ol' pretty Plotts myself. But,there needs to be still-hunt days in the mix for those of us that can't/don't have dogs and are not lucky enough to live near the mountains. Not just archery, but gun/MZ too. Scouting,finding sign/food, setting up, etc. is all part of that kind of hunt.
To do all that I'll have to take vacation days, drive 250+ miles a few times, making the sacrifices many hunters make. No problem, my choice. Having done that, I don't want to shoot a bear in front of someone's dogs and wait to see if they are going to be Peed Off or not. I'd rather find my own bear. There is plenty of room and resource for all of us if it is administered fairly. The South Cherokee seasons, for one, need to be addressed for sure.
I hope to get over there, maybe meet some of you guys, get in the woods and have a great experience, and I hope ya'll have great hunts too. We can and need to support each other; there's plenty of folks who would like for NONE of us to have these opportunities!

blountcountyboy

Re: Tellico Bear & Boar Hunting

Let me address the South Cherokee issue first. I agree 100% that South Cherokee needs to either add bear to a dear and boar hunt. Here's why I believe that it's not. If you read the back of your new sportsman guide you will see that pregent sows den earlier than boars. By having seasons later in the year they protect more sows. In some countys like blount there's an early season. This is allows more sows to be taken out, lowering the overall number of bear. This in turn lowers the human/bear conflicts. South Cherokee is vast and has MORE "carrying compacity" and with only a handful of smaller less developed (housing) cities there (I believe) is less human/bear conflicts. In South Cherokee the bear actually have the room to expand. In Blount the bear run into a new house almost every day.
I was once a hard core follower of the Mathews belief. LOL!! I done it all. I've always had a hard time setting in a tree stand all day. I set myself a few goals and unbelievably I met those goals. I lost my desire to bow hunt. So I know where your coming from.
So "theroetically" speaking I nor alot of other houndsmen won't be setting in a tree stand waiting on a bear. I don't have the patience. You and many other bow and gun hunters don't have the desire, time, nor space to raise, train, feed, and hunt with dogs. So yes "theroetically" speaking alot of this can be broken down into two groups. It's similar to old gun hunters versus bow hunters. A bow hunter can hunt the early bow season, muzzle loader season and gun season. Some gun hunters have no desire to bow hunt and some bow hunters have no desire to gun hunt. Would you like gun hunters hunting beside you in the woods Sept. 25th? I really appreciate your thought out and informative answers. Mud slinging matches get no where.

blountcountyboy

These forums are like texting. Without vocal emotions or interactions alot of things can be misinturpreted. The "mud slinging" wasn't directed towards anyone. I was stating that our "conversation" was going well and there was NOT any mud slinging. I never stated WHEN an archery season should be put into place on South Cherokee or what particular area. My thoughts on that, an archery season before or after the "dog" season in nov. would work well. In hard years sows would be denned up and some wouldn't and we would get a more mixed ratio... I believe.
No sir. The doors aren't closed. Someone with a closed mind gains nothing. I have a long bow that I've made by hand that I one day hope to carry to the woods and take game with. One day that may even include trying the impossible and stalking a TN bear in my favorite place in the world.... South Cherokee. I then would be in the same boat paddling up the same stream as you sir.
The last statement that makes you slightly vomit in your mouth wasn't intended to be taken as you've taken it. I spend my time with my hounds. I don't have the "desire" to bow hunt at this time. Others don't have the desire to chase hounds period. Another "addition" would take away to much "time" from my other addition. An hour every day feeding and tending to hounds would take away practice time for someone in archery. I have 90 acres to house and train my hounds. Alot of hunters aren't as fortunate. (I've worked hard to obtain this and will not appoligize for it I'm sorry.) Some live in subdivisions and there are restrictions and noise issues with keeping hounds. They also live miles away from any areas with bears and it wouldn't be realistic for them to own them and to the hounds any justice.

"250,000 acres of PUBLIC LAND on the south cherokee closed to archery hunting and all you can say is that you've already been there and done that and nobody but the hound hunters are worthy of being able to legaly hunt the bears there....You can address it anyway you want to but thats BS in my opinion..."
I don't know where you drew this conclusion but, no sir that's not even remotely close to what "I" am saying. What I will say is that yes there are 250,000 acres of PUBLIC LAND and YES there is enough time and space for there to be a reasonable ARCHERY ONLY hunt there.
Sir, I have bow hunted and I've owned hunting dogs over 3/4 of my life. There's not an EITHER between the bow hunting and owning of hounds. Alot of that time I done both. So yes I can stand in the middle of the road and see both sides. Your passionate about bow hunting and I'm just as passionate about hunting with hounds.

houndsman

I live in south cherokee and own bear dogs. I just dont understand how you can be complaining about not bein able to bow hunt bears when you have 100+ days to deer hunt in tn. We as bearhunters in south cherokee have a total of 22 days to hunt bears all year with the majority of the days during the week.

a retrohillbilly

A deer is not a bear. How could you complain about only having 22 days to hunt bear with dogs when you can fish all year long? A still-hunter has -O- days to hunt bear in S. Cherokee, and that includes weekends.

houndsman

A dog hunter has 0 days to chase deer with dogs in tn unlike other states so maybe there should be a deer season for that. I have no problem with bowhunter or hunters of any kind I think we are all in this together.

Grizzly Johnson

Beekeeper,

We got drawn for a hunt, just trying to confirm the dates. The ones I was given don't match up with the days I was given, so I am waiting on clarity.

wskp11

My son and I are headed east to tryout the bear hunt the fall for the first time and can't wait, but have been concerned about shooting over someones dogs. This is good info to know in regards to that. But also I would like to see alot more time to be able to hunt hogs with dogs. Like the bear houndsmen we have ours but are unable to hunt them here and have to go to another state to run them. There is truly nothing like the sound of a hound on the track.

houndsman

wskp11,

Most of the guys down here don't mind other hunters shooting game over there dogs but we really appreciate if you just let us know that way we know what are dogs were doing.

Latest posts