Tactics to change deer travel patterns

Mike Belt

The hay idea might work to help point them your way. A couple of mineral licks might also help to deter them onto you. Once they begin making a deter they may continue that route. Worth a try.

infoman jr.

I took a weedeater and made a heck of a deer trail this past year. Whatever you do, don't use any man-made materials to block their travel route. Several on here think that's cheating.

MickThompson

Deer don't choose to eat hay grasses (fescue, etc) when it's growing in a field- why would they eat it once it was cut, dried, rolled into a ball, and left to rot for months? They would literally have to be starving to death to eat it. Their digestive systems are completely different from a cow's, and they can't efficiently process forages with that high of a C:N ratio.

BTW, if they were attracted to it, hunting over hay bales placed in a field to attract deer would be the very definition of hunting over bait.

AllOutdoors

I think he is wanting to place them to restrict an undesirable path. Changing their trail pattern to his peoperty. Not feed them.

Crosshairy

The hay bales aren't for bait, they are for BUILDING a funnel.

I think they would work great for the distance you are talking about - if 45 feet makes that big of a difference, then see if he can stack them in a row, and leave the fence opening you mentioned on your end of the row of hay. They are wide enough that I don't see a deer ever attempting to jump over them. Please let us know if you find this to be false, because that would be a pretty interesting sight :)

Follow DA's advice and cut a trail from there so that it becomes a highway for them - between the hay bales, the fence, and the clear path on the other side, you will be inviting some pretty good activity, I think. I would advise you to put out a small no-till food plot in the area, but you probably couldn't make it big enough to keep from being eaten to the dirt...others may disagree here.

I've seen others do these sort of alterations to make funnels, and they are often quite effective. I've done much smaller scale versions that involve hinge-cutting small trees of low value (think sweetgum and birch) to make a poor man's "wall" to point deer towards a better angle for a trail camera.

Normally I wouldn't put forth as much effort for a single spot, but in your case, it might turn it into a honey-hole.

catman529

If it's 15 yards across the line, you need a hole in the fence, and maybe a salt lick on your side....maybe also cut a few trees or tree limbs to let some light in and create new undergrowth for browse. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson

EastTN123":35jnorkh said:
MickThompson":35jnorkh said:
Deer don't choose to eat hay grasses (fescue, etc) when it's growing in a field- why would they eat it once it was cut, dried, rolled into a ball, and left to rot for months? They would literally have to be starving to death to eat it. Their digestive systems are completely different from a cow's, and they can't efficiently process forages with that high of a C:N ratio.

BTW, if they were attracted to it, hunting over hay bales placed in a field to attract deer would be the very definition of hunting over bait.

My friend stores them on various parts of the property. I was suggesting to stack up the rolls to use them as a diversion tool.

Blonde moment. I'll own it. Maybe get your buddy to drill some wheat into the hay field in the fall? he could cut the hay in the spring.

deadeye 77

Where do you think the deer are going or coming from.can you use any of the area that you spoke of?can u put in a honey hole food plot to get them interested in it.is it thick where u hunt

Latest posts