Tactical Target Rifle Ideas

TN Song Dog

Hi guys, wanting to get feedback on opinions for a $1,200 price tactical target rifle. I could go up to $1500 max. It will mostly be for shooting prone in field conditions, and I have already decided on 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't reload.

Here are my current ideas, and I'm thinking my budget will limit me to off the shelf rifles.

Savage 12 LRP with HS Prec. stock.

Ruger Precision Rifle

Savage 10 BA Stealth

Any others out there in this price range I'm not thinking of?

I'm leaning towards the Savage 12 LRP right now. If money was no option, I would look at custom Surgeon action with high end barrel and McMillan A5 or Manners.

Thanks for any input you have, based on actual experience.

TNRifleman

I don't know anything about Rugers but the savages should be shooters for sure. Another option would be to look at ER Shaws website and build a semi custom. It will take a couple months though so you won't get it right now.

mr.big

go to snipershide and watch the videos of lowlight shooting the Ruger 20" 6.5 Creedmoor,,if you are shooting known distance targets you will never miss the 60-75 fps

as long as you can stay above 1100 fps to your target is all that matters and the 140 ELD started at 2600 will make 1300 yards at 1100 fps,,

either of the Savages the Ruger PRS and the Tika should all do what you are wanting I just like my odds of getting the best shooter from the Tika/Sako barrels than the Ruger or Savage,,

Cazador

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Plus the bolt lift on my Savage gets annoying at times. It shoots well. I like the trigger. But the bolt lift is a little heavy. Sometimes it bugs me and other times not so much.

Rockhound

The savage model 10 predator max 1 is another. I have one in 260 rem and love it, but I use mine for plinking /hunting. It's a whole lot easier to tote than the lrp but just as capable with the 24" bbl if you decide you wanna do something besides target shoot

Hunter 257W

I really like the stock shape that Savage used on the model 12 LRP (Savage Part # 19137). They've used that basic butt stock shape on a lot of their higher priced heavy barrel rifles over the years and it makes sense for sandbag shooting. One shortcoming, in my opinion, with a lot of factory stocks is the shape of the bottom of the butt. I much prefer the bottom of the butt to be flat(almost parallel to the bore) so that it doesn't throw the muzzle up to the sky in recoil. A flat butt stock gives me a lot more vertical control over groups when shooting from sandbags. This combined with the wide flat fore end will make this rifle sit real steady on bags.

I would not want any part of either other rifle on your list. I've never liked stocks that look like improvised prosthetic devices. :) They sure won't sit as well on sand bags as a smooth continuous surface. Also a box magazine hanging down is going to be in the way for prone shooting.

Looking at other Savage offerings, if you were willing to switch to the 6.5-284 chambering both the 12 F Class (Savage Part # 18155) 30" stainless barrel or the 12 Benchrest (Savage Part # 18613) 29 " Stainless Barrel, should be up to the job you are looking to accomplish. The stainless barrels are usually expected to last 10 to 20% longer. This doesn't really matter for a hunting rifle, but when you are shooting targets, the round count adds up a lot faster so barrel life can't be ignored. Also the longer barrels will give higher velocities all other things being equal.

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the 3 I mentioned.

Oh yeah, you NEED to start reloading if you want to get into this kind of shooting seriously. You need to shoot a LOT to get good at long range and you need to have a bunch of ammo that's exactly alike. The only good way to do that is to reload and buy all your components in large quantities. Even if you buy only 1 box of 100 bullets from a given manufacturing lot, that's equal to 5 boxes of factory ammo. You HAVE to reload! :mrgreen:

DaveB

if you don't reload, you will only shoot tical, your Tac piece will never be there. To me, Tactical accuracy is two steps down to what Mr. Big gets.

TN Song Dog

Very good points on the reloading, and you are correct. I'm just not there yet. I might of misinterpreted my plan, as I'm not going to be competing in matches. I just want to spend the money as best as I can to get a capable long distance plinking machine. Yeah! [emoji106] [emoji106]

Reloading may be on the future horizon, but I need something to shoot the 600rds I already bought. [emoji38]
It's like having a sack of rocks with no slingshot!

TN Song Dog

The new Savage is shooting great. Took it out the past 2 weekends, and im loving it. It's a solid 1/2 moa at 100, and easy on the shoulder. Hornady 140gr ELD factory ammo clocking around 2715.

I shot steel today and walked it out to 600, 750, 1000, and then 1250. 600 and 750 grouped nice. 1000 went well, but wind and my skills opened up the groupings a bit. First shot at 1250 was a hit on the 10" center plate of a 6x6 plate, and I was stoked(and lucky)! I didn't measure groups today, just had fun making hits.

mr.big

shooting steel at LR is all about fun,,and if you are hitting 75% you are too close or your targets are too big,,

shooting the 10 inch gong at 1,000 yards with my 8 twist 243 is as much fun as I can have with a rifle,,shooting matches is a different animal,,

TN Song Dog

mr.big":3rzxca9q said:
shooting steel at LR is all about fun,,and if you are hitting 75% you are too close or your targets are too big,,

shooting the 10 inch gong at 1,000 yards with my 8 twist 243 is as much fun as I can have with a rifle,,shooting matches is a different animal,,
It was a ton of fun, for sure. The 6x6 plates are huge and great for spotters. There are some know-your-limits gongs and silouette at 1000 and 1250, too. I was keeping most all rounds on the full size silouette at 1000, but not so much at 1250... Lol! There was a small 1/2 size silouette at 1250 that I only managed 2 hits out of at least 7 or 8, but I was sure proud of those.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts