T/C XTP. Who's shot em?

paboom

Trapper John said:
Are the Hornady and T/C XTP bullets the same thing? If so I use the 300 grain ones and love them. Big exit, lots of blood...cheap.

Yep, same thing. Keep in mind there are two versions of the 300g. The MAG and the regular XTP. The MAG require a little more velocity to make them open up.

I've used them all and like them all. XTPs have probably killed more deer than any other ML bullet out there.

ewc

Trapper John said:
Yeah I've never used the Mag version. Wasn't crazy about the black sabot either. The green one gave me much better accuracy.

That's a .429 xtp. The one's longhunter is using are.45 xtps. The .45 has 3 versions 250 xtp, 300 xtp, and 300xtp mag. They also make a 240 xtp mag that I believe is .45 caliber too.

I agree that these have killed a ton of deer.

I used to use them, but the last one I shot at a deer fragmented. I killed the deer, but it was nasty. 5-6 inch entrance and no exit. It was my fault as I was pushing the bullet beyond its design (2,650 fps).

They are an excellent bullet at the design speed.

paboom

Tn_Va_Hunter said:
Thanks for all the info. I think i'll try some of the 300's and see how my gun likes em. gonna find me a good sabot to. Any suggestions?

I prefer Harvester but MMP is a good sabot as well. You'll have to shoot them to see what shoots best. If you're shooting BH you're going to need a tighter sabot to get the best accuracy.

Here's some measurements that might help you:

Harvester

Long & Short Black .504
Crush Rib .5025
Red (Smokeless) .508

MMP
Short .5065
HPH 24 .504
HPH 12 .506
EZ 3P .5025

fastbs

i'm gonna add to the xtp fan base going here. My favorite combe in my remington genesis is the 300 grain xtp mag with 120 grains of 777. groups 3" at 100 yds!

fishboy1

I have had fantastic results with both the 240xtp mag and the 300gr xtp mag. No running, no tracking, just bang flop with a good exit. (over 100gr pyrodex pellets)

The last 2 years I have been trying the 300gr xtp (non mag) killed several deer with it. Great blood trails but every deer has run at least 75 yds. 2 have not had an exit and I recovered the bullet. Great expansion, dead deer but it tears up the meat a little more.

I am switching back to the 240 or 300gr xtp mags this year. I just love it when the smoke cloud clears and there are feet sticking up in the air.

Latest posts