SX 4, 2 & 3

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I didn't want to hijack the other thread that was asking about different guns for waterfowl hunting so I thought I would ask here.

I saw two seperate posts that recommended the SX4 or SX2.
Just curious why not the 3?

Totally just curious but I do know there ain't a nickels difference between the 3 & 4.

spoonie

I Suggested the SX4 and SX2 because I've giving both of them a beating and they keep going bang. For an idea I hunted around 35 days this season and never did clean my sx4 only spraying some 80 below lubricant in it every now and then (I think 80 below lubricant is a local company picked it up at the turkey show last year and its a great product). I owned an sx3 but it was only the field model 3'' and it seemed to jam up more than others and then some part broke in it and I decided to trade it off.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Interesting, thanks.

I bought my son an SX3 a few years ago and then got myself one the following year.
We were just talking about them this past week and he said he feels like the SX3 is the 870 of the auto's. Meaning you can do whatever you want and they just keep on shooting. LOL

I just bought some of that 80 below stuff a few weeks ago.
Very good stuff indeed!

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I love my SX3. I got one of the early ones with the Belgian made barrels. Right now, I don't see the need for anything else. I looked at a 4 last year, just for comparison. To me, the 4 felt cheaper made(and it is a less expensive gun). I did like the safety and bolt release better on the SX4, but in every other aspect, I prefer my SX3.

GUNNERX2

I've had a 2 since they 1st came out with a 31/2" 20ish years ago and it's been rock solid. It did crap out on me at the end of the 2018-19 season with light primer strikes but that was a cleaning issue. The hammer spring is hidden in a little pocket behind the trigger and it never got cleaned out. It just didn't occur to me to go poking around in there.

BlackEagle1

I really don't have much to add but I have been around some 2's. They are very....very similar to a browning gold. I needed a barrel some years ago for a 2 but they had been discontinued. I called the company for help.... they said to just order a browning barrel they interchange.

The 2's and 3's feel like shotguns, but the 4 does feel/look cheaper.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
BlackEagle1":bmqawr2a said:
I really don't have much to add but I have been around some 2's. They are very....very similar to a browning gold. I needed a barrel some years ago for a 2 but they had been discontinued. I called the company for help.... they said to just order a browning barrel they interchange.

The 2's and 3's feel like shotguns, but the 4 does feel/look cheaper.

As far as I could tell the SX3 and Browning Silver were the same gun.
I know all the "routine" parts you take apart to clean one are because me and my son interchanged them all one time just to see if they would work. LOL
Barrel, forearm, spring, gas thingy on the end, and trigger assembly.

rukiddin

I love my sx3 but strictly speaking of the sx2 target guns (not the 3-1/2" model) they were notorious for being the biggest $h!t heap of a firearm ever made. Talked to many clay shooters that said the the sx3 saved Winchester's shotgun reputation because the sx2 was a joke of a shotgun.

bshurette

I have ran roughly 400 cheap trap rounds through my SX3 without one issue. LOP is the only issue for me, but fixed it with a bigger recoil pad. Everyone I know who shoots the sx3 loves it. I havent seen the same love for the sx4 from other forums.

Pennywise67

I love my SX2. Thing is a tank. its been dunked, dropped i the mud at the bottom of the pond, fished it out, made sure the barrel was clear and kept right on working. If I was looking at replacing it I would look at the SX4.

-Larry

Uncle Jesse

I had a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge SX3 Never had any malfunctions with either but I couldn't hit nothing using steel shot with the 12 gauge but it was like I couldn't miss with lead dove loads

Sold the 20 gauge to fund other guns and don't miss it. They were both very reliable but I never fell in love with either

Latest posts